AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
15 Nov 2018 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Ian K
WA, 4041 posts
15 Nov 2018 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds about right. When did it last have sailable water? Only sailed there a couple of times. Before the advent of short bottom scraping fins. Had to walk hundreds of metres to get out to good depth. I once met a bloke out there, ahead of his time, who packed a screwdriver and a fin cutoff to half length. He proudly explained that it saved him 15 minutes of wading, he said he could broad reach to within 200 metres of the carpark.

FormulaNova
WA, 14142 posts
15 Nov 2018 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ian K said..
Sounds about right. When did it last have sailable water? Only sailed there a couple of times. Before the advent of short bottom scraping fins. Had to walk hundreds of metres to get out to good depth. I once met a bloke out there, ahead of his time, who packed a screwdriver and a fin cutoff to half length. He proudly explained that it saved him 15 minutes of wading, he said he could broad reach to within 200 metres of the carpark.

Sounds like a good idea for Primbee! A tiny fin to get out a bit then swap to the proper fin... which is fine if they are simple to change like powerbox, but maybe not for tuttle, although still worth the effort I think.

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
15 Nov 2018 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Someone told me why Lake George is always empty now. It made sense when they told me, but I forgot why now.

siny
NSW, 286 posts
15 Nov 2018 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

Yes its empty now because of the drought. Used to be good sailing , don't think ill take a foil out there

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
15 Nov 2018 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

I think it's because the wind farm on the east shoreline is causing more evaporation.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9020 posts
15 Nov 2018 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Never sailed there but remember seeing the lake full of water when driving past on the road to Canberra in the early 90s.

Could the rest of the article be scanned and posted?

AUS02
TAS, 1982 posts
15 Nov 2018 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

On the way to Burrum last year there was a fair bit of water in the Lake. Hard to get a good photo, but looked sailable!

fjdoug
ACT, 540 posts
15 Nov 2018 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

nice one AUS4 ; that's Glenn and Erin.

FormulaNova
WA, 14142 posts
15 Nov 2018 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Harrow said..
Someone told me why Lake George is always empty now. It made sense when they told me, but I forgot why now.

Its not always empty now. I am sure it was full a couple of years back.

AUS4
NSW, 1250 posts
15 Nov 2018 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

PaulD68
NSW, 5 posts
21 Nov 2018 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..

Harrow said..

Its not always empty now. I am sure it was full a couple of years back.

I sailed it in early 2017, launching from Picnic Point on the NE side as the water didn't reach the shore near the highway. It is vast and once you'd walked the 200m to get sufficient water depth for your fin, you had a straight reach of 11+ KMs! That said, you have to stop every couple of km to step over the top of the sheep fencing which was a couple of cm above water level - I know a small chop hop would have worked, but the danger of getting it wrong and then walking back wasn't worth the risk. Being so shallow there was no swell and the water was 'thick' with silt, it was bizarre to step off in the middle of the lake, in waist deep water, and be 4+ KMs from any shore. Certainly worth a trip if ever get rains like that again.

BSN101
WA, 2256 posts
21 Nov 2018 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

A different state but when driving west from LG the Coorong looked amazing, you'd get a 100km leg!!

Mobydisc
NSW, 9020 posts
22 Nov 2018 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..
A different state but when driving west from LG the Coorong looked amazing, you'd get a 100km leg!!

Yeah but it smells like an open sewer.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Lake George 1994 Canberra ACT" started by AUS4