Hi Magic, location?

MagicRide
688 posts
27 Feb 2021 12:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
segler said..
Hi Magic, location?

Lake of the Woods, Great Meadow in Southern Oregon. Best wind directions are from the West and East.

MagicRide
688 posts
27 Feb 2021 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Imax1
QLD, 4527 posts
27 Feb 2021 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

EPIC !

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
27 Feb 2021 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Having never experienced ice or snow that looks great!!!!
Sorry but give me boardies and thongs any day!!

MagicRide
688 posts
27 Feb 2021 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks! It's fun! It's nice to be able to windsurf in the off season on snow.

MagicRide
688 posts
28 Feb 2021 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

The fun continues!

jn1
2454 posts
28 Feb 2021 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Nice

joe windsurf
1480 posts
28 Feb 2021 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

you have a snow winner :-)
need to base my next attempt on your model
what size are the bottom ski and fin ??

MagicRide
688 posts
1 Mar 2021 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

The ski is 67 inches long by 7 inches wide. The fin is a water ski fin, but I cut it shorter to reduce drag. Fin is 1 inch long. The deck is 17 inches wide.

mareks360
119 posts
1 Mar 2021 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

If Anyone thinks this is something New, you are are very wrong.

Some of the earliest designs of mono ski with windsurf sail go back to Poland year 1974 and even earlier designs from Estonia.
Friend of mine, Zbigniew (Ziggy) Piatek as early as year 1980 was using his own innovative designs on "Zalew Zemporzycki" (Zemborzycki Reservoir) near Lublin Poland that included slightly different design based on DN class boyers our Racing Club (RKS Motor Lublin) had and we used them sailing on frozen lake / reservoir in winter.
My friend's design was based on a T shape, (like DN Class Boyers).
Here is what my friend did:
a) when the lake /reservoir was frozen without snow - he was using 3 ice skating blades attached to T shape board,
b) when the lake /reservoir was frozen with snow, melted, refroze - he was attaching 3 curved metal pipes to windsurf on porous frozen surface
c) when the lake /reservoir was frozen and coated with fresh snow - he was using 3 shortened skis attached to T shaped board.

As soon as the lake started thawing from the shore - he was already windsurfing in that belt of unfrozen water.

I posted more details about it on NW Windtalk about 1 year ago with some pictures:

Here is the link if you want to learn more and also parts I used Google translation for you (and cleaned it up):

groups.io/g/nw-windtalk/message/64562

MagicRide
688 posts
1 Mar 2021 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mareks360 said..

Some of the earliest designs of mono ski with windsurf sail go back to Poland year 1974 and even earlier designs from Estonia.
Friend of mine, Zbigniew (Ziggy) Piatek as early as year 1980 was using his own innovative designs on "Zalew Zemporzycki" (Zemborzycki Reservoir) near Lublin Poland that included slightly different design based on DN class boyers our Racing Club (RKS Motor Lublin) had and we used them sailing on frozen lake / reservoir in winter.
a) when the lake /reservoir was frozen without snow - he was using 3 ice skating blades attached to T shape board,
b) when the lake /reservoir was frozen with snow, melted, refroze - he was attaching 3 curved metal pipes to windsurf on porous frozen surface
c) when the lake /reservoir was frozen and coated with fresh snow - he was using 3 shortened skis attached to T shaped board.

As soon as the lake started thawing from the shore - he was already windsurfing in that belt of unfrozen water.

I posted more details about it on NW Windtalk about 1 year ago with some pictures:

Here is the link if you want to learn more and also parts I used Google translation for you (and cleaned it up):

Thanks for the info. But yes, this has been around for a while. So many different, creative models made over the course of time, as I enjoy seeing and watching them in action!

mareks360
119 posts
1 Mar 2021 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MagicRide said..

mareks360 said..

Thanks for the info. But yes, this has been around for a while. So many different, creative models made over the course of time, as I enjoy seeing and watching them in action!

Any TOW (Time On the Water), even if it is a frozen one (snow or ice) is better than TOS (Time On Shore).
It is always inspiring how creatively people can make it happen: rain or shine or snow & ice.

MagicRide,
You are definitely continuing a Great Long Tradition therefore I chimed in with this Historical Perspective that many might not have been aware of.
Keep up the Great Work and Continue Innovating further !

There was also another post earlier on Seabreeze using Windsurf Sail, WindSki / Proto Bar and another using KiteWing (similar to Wingsurfing Wing) and regular Snowboard - this last one - no modifications needed, just a regular Snowboard and sufficient amount of Wind.
It is great to see such a diversity of ideas used successfully in practice and keeping Windsurfing (any form) alive year-round.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Windski-New-Proto-Bar-video-for-sailing-on-snow-2

joe windsurf
1480 posts
1 Mar 2021 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the measurments MagicRider :-)

I too have been building winter windsurf sleds - since about 2008
here are some of my current models:

and as always, I am working on another prototype for deep snow
that one is the most elusive one to do well !!

MagicRide
688 posts
2 Mar 2021 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
joe windsurf said..
thanks for the measurments MagicRider :-)

I too have been building winter windsurf sleds - since about 2008
here are some of my current models:

and as always, I am working on another prototype for deep snow
that one is the most elusive one to do well !!

Some fine looking equipment there!

MagicRide
688 posts
2 Mar 2021 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mareks360 said..

MagicRide said..

mareks360 said..

Any TOW (Time On the Water), even if it is a frozen one (snow or ice) is better than TOS (Time On Shore).
It is always inspiring how creatively people can make it happen: rain or shine or snow & ice.

MagicRide,
You are definitely continuing a Great Long Tradition therefore I chimed in with this Historical Perspective that many might not have been aware of.
Keep up the Great Work and Continue Innovating further !

There was also another post earlier on Seabreeze using Windsurf Sail, WindSki / Proto Bar and another using KiteWing (similar to Wingsurfing Wing) and regular Snowboard - this last one - no modifications needed, just a regular Snowboard and sufficient amount of Wind.
It is great to see such a diversity of ideas used successfully in practice and keeping Windsurfing (any form) alive year-round.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Windski-New-Proto-Bar-video-for-sailing-on-snow-2

Thanks! I love to be out windsurfing in the snow. The fact that I can be windsurfing on snow when the water is too cold or frozen over is a big plus. Where I live, nobody does this sort of thing, so people are so interested and curious when they see this thing with a sail on it flying across the snow!

MagicRide
688 posts
3 Mar 2021 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

A bumpy snow day, but adrenaline rushing!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Epic 2021 Windski Sessions!" started by MagicRide