4919 posts
29 Dec 2020 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MangoDingo said..

Tardy said..

Tardos- what's shakin' man?
How far off's the new sled?
I can't believe the gloss on the tail - I'm still genuinely laughing out loud when I look at the photo - h'maaaad.
Any updates brus?

aahhh ...just can't seem to get in touch with them ...all on the drink ..

but thinking mid-late jan ...yeah she's gonna slide through the water ....like a cold beer flow--ing down ya throat ..on a hot day with the boys .

The wait is killing me .

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
29 Jan 2021 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Whata the update Tardy? Is she close?

Tardy
4919 posts
29 Jan 2021 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

I believe the crate is being sorted ...surffx has a sh1t load to sort through ...be in touch .but being enjoying the 8'7 placid in the mean time

looking to get some flat rocker speed back in my life though .

hey Nug ,it seems like a life time ago you where asking me about boards...but now your on way smaller sticks than i can handle .
you've progressed heaps man ,good on ya .

Tardy
4919 posts
28 Feb 2021 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

eagle has landed ,report tomorrow ,,,,,.after a surf ...I got a new set of shaper quad s ,,,, ...if its crap you will never hear from me again

supthecreek
2583 posts
1 Mar 2021 3:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
eagle has landed ,report tomorrow ,,,,,.after a surf ...I got a new set of shaper quad s ,,,, ...if its crap you will never hear from me again

tic tock, tic tock...

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

Just unpacked her ...now off to surf ...

bomberdave
VIC, 396 posts
1 Mar 2021 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..

Tardy said..

Just cant get Santana out of my head...."shes a black magic woman..."

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bomberdave said..

Tardy said..

Tardy said..

Just cant get Santana out of my head...."shes a black magic woman..."

Lol....I just hope she behaves herself ...man the rails are so thin ...glad I got full carbon rails ..looks so cool in the light ..just fitted the fins ,leg rope string in place ..had my leg rope in 6-7 foot swell yesterday,seems to be longer today ..I think I might grab a new one ..

supthecreek
2583 posts
1 Mar 2021 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

You didn't mention rail saver.....
Black rails will show every sharp whack

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supthecreek said..
You didn't mention rail saver.....
Black rails will show every sharp whack

they forgot to put it in the box ,they are express posting me some ...I have put 2 x electrical tape on my paddle till then ...
my rails are not painted ..resin over carbon...but thank you Rick .

wazza66
QLD, 607 posts
1 Mar 2021 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Don't leave it in the sun or on your roof racks

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

WELL its wet ...huge swell here so had to play in the small rebuilders ...but got A few good cut backs on it ...

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wazza66 said..
Don't leave it in the sun or on your roof racks

thanks wazza....i will be nice to it ...had a load of surfers check it out this afternoon ...they seemed interested ..but they are stuck in a rut .

Tardy
4919 posts
1 Mar 2021 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

NOW to tell you what I think of it ..after one surf ...

it feels very similar to the old flow ..my 8'7 ,but it is 126 litre in stead of 120 ,so easier to use for me ,the right size for me ,YES .

GLAD ,i did not go any narrower like I thought i was going to for a custom ..the width is perfect for the size ,it feels narrower than 31
with the really thinned out rails ...BE aware of going side ways through the waves ,because they are thinned out, it pushes the board down ,and through me off a few times ,unlike the placid which is very forgiving ,so make sure you go front on to the wave so not to get the water over it to start your white wash climb ,like all flows ,they go through waves amazing ,fast to paddle as well ...

the rocker on a wave ,its a rocket ,a really fast board ,It likes being ridden with the foot right on the back ,like the 8,7 .it feels very similar
but when you do your cut backs thats when you really feel the thinned out rails working ,i really tipped it over and it just came back to straighten up like nothing had happened ,so going through the turns makes it a little easier than the older flow with fatter rails .It doesn't stall as much ,keeps the speed going right through ..
It didn't feel as loose in the tail like the squash tail on the 8,7 ,so i might put smaller fins on next time or try it as a thruster ,as the rounded pin does give it a little more grip on the wave ,
Its a fast board and I enjoyed the speed in slower waves ..it does feel very similar to the 8'7 ,which is a great board .I had no trouble riding the 8'8 in rough surf today ,so a big tick for that ..looking forward to getting it in some better waves ...it feels a lot smaller to ride than the 8,7 placid .I think the placid is a looser feeling board ,but the flow has speed ,like lots of it ,i had to lift my game to ride it ,the placid you have to push a little bit ,or more pumping ,but the flow takes off like a rocket as a quad .
Two very different boards .if you are comparing them ..

I'm still exploring this board ,so may have more to tell later

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
1 Mar 2021 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Nice debrief Tardy.
It will be interesting to read your thoughts in a few months comparing V1 vs V2 of the Flow

supthecreek
2583 posts
1 Mar 2021 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy, thanks for the first thoughts!

I didn't feel anything special from my 9'0 Flow V2 with my Medium Quads with small back fins.
Then I put on a pair of medium 4.6" C-Drive sides and a tiny 3.6 " C-Drive knock off in center.BOOM... all of a sudden it opened up for me.

But that was small waves, so I ordered slightly larger C-Drives in case I need them.
I am really liking what I feel now and can't wait to get some decent waves to explore some more.

By the way, your board is only 4" shorter than mine.... how do you have one foot on the stomper and one on the handle?
I can't get anywhere near the stomper if my front is on the handle

Tardy
4919 posts
2 Mar 2021 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Rick ,I have some c-drives ,,,might give them a try ,,

The foot on the kick tail just feels normal to me ,I just can't surf any other way .i do walk up a bit when racing a wave
or if the wave is slow and gutless ...but most of the time its on the tail looking for places to do cut backs .

Tardy
4919 posts
2 Mar 2021 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

I Wondered if it was just the way i ride this board i ride on the tail ..but my daughter took this photo last week on my 9,1 Acid ,and looks like its a STYLE thing ...stay with your style Rick......you shred the way you are ...and it probably took a lot of time to get that style ....

supsean
200 posts
3 Mar 2021 12:52AM
Thumbs Up

Insane board! Visually, the best out there! It was worth the wait!

Tardy
4919 posts
3 Mar 2021 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks supsean....

I just thought i would update my thruster setup experience ,,i had large sharper fins on ...this board is a loose as it gets ..had it in 4 foot perfect waves today ...through it around like a rag doll...sick ..

there is more rocker on this flow .

i went out the back on some bigger waves and felt the quad would of been better with the extra speed factor ..and better grip ..

but in small waves the thruster was crazy loose ..really impressed ...

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
3 Mar 2021 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Thanks supsean....

I just thought i would update my thruster setup experience ,,i had large sharper fins on ...this board is a loose as it gets ..had it in 4 foot perfect waves today ...through it around like a rag doll...sick ..

i went out the back on some bigger waves and felt the quad would of been better with the extra speed factor ..and better grip ..

You're making me want to set mine up as a thruster and go for a play. Maybe Friday

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
3 Mar 2021 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
Thanks supsean....

You're making me want to set mine up as a thruster and go for a play. Maybe Friday

Tardy
4919 posts
3 Mar 2021 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Tardy
4919 posts
3 Mar 2021 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

short vid ,nothing special ,but enjoy ,casso gave me this music

bomberdave
VIC, 396 posts
5 Mar 2021 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tardy said..
short vid ,nothing special ,but enjoy ,casso gave me this music

nice vid ..yer making me jealous crap conditions here for the past week.... what fins and set up are you using at the mo ?????

Tardy
4919 posts
5 Mar 2021 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

HI DAVE ,cheers ,i had quads on in the vid ,large 7 shapers with 100 ml rears ...felt the rears a little big so have dropped to 90 .
had thrusters 7's on ,found it excellent in small surf really loose ,but a little slidey in big waves ...only surfed it twice now ..and really happy

bomberdave
VIC, 396 posts
5 Mar 2021 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

Much the same as what I thought. Origionally had large quobba's as a thruster felt this gave more speed and a little more hold than the origional fins. Last time out in some decent east coast juice i had it as a quad with large Cdrives in front and small quobbas in rear. Awesomeness!!!! ..the photo distorts a bit the cdrives are larger than the quobbas, just doesnt look it in the pic..

Tardy
4919 posts
5 Mar 2021 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Here's my combo at the mo, got these little Naish rears of my raptor

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"BLACK Custom 8'8x31 x126 litres sunova flow ," started by Tardy