Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2011 DC Step Deck Steps Out

Created by Tryfan > 9 months ago, 13 Aug 2010
Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
13 Aug 2010 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Dropped in at DC's factory on way home tonight just in time to sneak a few piccies of Dale and LL adding some finishing touches to his brand new stick...kinda hoping it's too small for LL but don't like my chances...it does look good tho

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
14 Aug 2010 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

I pretty much like everything about that board!

Looks like it could be pretty wide in the tail though, is that info you can share?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2010 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Bnaccas said...

Looks like it could be pretty wide in the tail though, is that info you can share?

hi, i think the camera is making it look that way a bit. i like the area pin the way it pulls in late.tried really reduced tail areas- didn't go as good
cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
14 Aug 2010 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Lacey.. Check out this stepped bottom.

DJ

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
14 Aug 2010 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, the pics did make its bum look bigger (and wider). Took em on the phone so no zoom. Actually thought it had a real sharp tail, but seems thicker in closeups too.

We got some waves up here this morning, so guess report will be on the way...

boarder paul
1952 posts
14 Aug 2010 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Bnaccas said...

BEAUTIFULL Just BEAUTIFULL

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2010 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Hey Lacey.. Check out this stepped bottom.

DJ

hey dj, can't say i've ever seen that before. i wonder what it does?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2010 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

first impressions
well, i was nervous, haven't done a lot of sup surfing lately- once a week. not many waves and seem to be spending a lot of time on the dw boards and i knew a fair few of the local crew would be there. i usually feel a bit unco for a bit when i do get out on my 8'9 psh. reminder to self- if you are going to ride shorter boards you need to surf um a bit more.
clean ish conditions with 2 to 3' plus with the incoming tide and a north wind killing it off in a hour and a bit- ie junk at the end
jumped on the board with sunny side fins and a shapers s9 5.25"centre fin, ten strokes later, turned around and went back to the car- that's not going to work, too wobbly. throw in my psh 6.5" narrow based fin. it's better , but having a bit of trouble working it out. as i said, probably would be in a bit of trouble on the psh too . i get my first wave, one word -electric.
catch a few more and come in. i ring scotty up from greenline for another fin. suggests i go to shapers and pick some up for him and while i'm at it try them- thanks for that
i'm looking for a bit more stability, so i throw in a shaper's big ish db 6.5". more stable, but the surfing part has suffered a bit
next, put in a shaper 6" performance wide base fin. works ok and surfs good

now the board. every body talks about how a sup feels like a shortboard. what i've got to say is you have to surf this one like shortboard. most sups, you sort of still turn from the back and when you get on your shortboard again, that doesn't work and you have to readjust turning from the mid rail through to the tail. this board likes to be surf like that- through the mid rail to to the tail otherwise you can get left behind. it's the only way i can describe it. also with the speed of turn, it's hard to keep up with the paddle

do i like the board- hell yeah. haven't surfed anything like it.
i've got to work on the handling(as per usual with any new board) and my technique is going to have to change to i would say a more shortboard style.
another thing is, most thruster fin setups on sup are bunched up and rather forward ish to allow for tail end turns. with this board wonting to go through the rail, i'm going to slide the back fin closer to the tail- 10mm for starters

a few points
i think this shape and rail would work well on bigger boards up to 9' and a bit

i'll get better at handling it- today was a good test in pretty bad conditions in the end

it surfs insane- i need to catch up to it

really would like to see how it goes backhand

loves a bit of shape in the wave- don't bother if you just like poking around- definately a hi performance board

hanging to get into some beachies and gmount on the board
cheers

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
14 Aug 2010 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like it might be all too much trouble, Lacey. I reckon you should just get rid of it. I'll gladly take it off your hands for you.

BTW - why isn't it blue like I asked?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2010 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

Sounds like it might be all too much trouble, Lacey. I reckon you should just get rid of it. I'll gladly take it off your hands for you.

BTW - why isn't it blue like I asked?

nah, just the usual breaking in stuff, sure everybody has to play around to sort it out
i would like a dollar for every fin question the comes up on the breeze
it's got a blue pin line if that helps
cheers

aussiefreebs
VIC, 228 posts
14 Aug 2010 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Holy hell, thats pretty much my dream board.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Aug 2010 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

aussiefreebs said...

Holy hell, thats pretty much my dream board.

yeah, i'm rapt. we weren't sure if the board would even float me. i reckon it would be just 100 lts, not that wide and i'm 78 kgs.so i'm right on the edge.
cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2011 DC Step Deck Steps Out" started by Tryfan