Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

Foiling Sunshine Coast QLD

Created by skebstebamal > 9 months ago, 15 Sep 2015
skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
15 Sep 2015 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there.

There are a number of foilers getting around now on the sunshine coast.

I' suggest catching up for a ride to see where everyone is at, and have a social cruise . . . .which may or may not turn into social racing : )

Mooloolaba is a great spot for NE. I hated it on regular gear, but its great for a foil. no surf to get out through and plenty of touring options. . Upwind and around to the pocket, upwind to maroochy river nets, back inside the nets and home,, good race course...or even up to old woman and back.

Once numbers get going informal racing will happen for sure....race what ever gear or kite you have..just a fun muck around.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
15 Sep 2015 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be in. I won't be at the social foil stage for a month or three but I'm aiming to start next week. I'll come down regardless & say g'day.

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
15 Sep 2015 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dave. social means come as you are... if your still porpoising up and down...cool, there are a few guys yet to get on their gear also. So don't worry about that.

MarkFranklin99
QLD, 7 posts
16 Sep 2015 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

I'm another porpoiser and will take whatever time it takes but would love to join you.

Have you got a date in mind yet?

Also, when you say off Mooloolaba, where do you mean? It's a long beach that goes all the way from the Spit to the caravan park... are you talking more the Spit side as that has no waves? If so, are crowds an issue?

Hope to see you soon, cheers, Mark

[Spotz 1 with Race wing and a very non-racy rider :) ]

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
16 Sep 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mark.

everyone welcome.

yeah i just park at the spit opposite the yacht club. was really good today. perfect conditions.

its great there as you can head straight out and play around. head up to maroochydore... coming back dw is fun but hairy..

im thinking i'll get a facebook group going so we can post when someone is heading out..

Thecopterdr
QLD, 98 posts
19 Sep 2015 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Skeb,
I've finally got some gear together too and live locally.
Let us know when you get that Facebook link up and running, I've got a few other mates that are up and going well also.

I've often looked at Mooloolaba and thought it would be a great spot, at least if it all turns to custard you'll get blown back onto the shore.
Where do you go when the wind is in the S or SE quadrant?

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
21 Sep 2015 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

F'book group is up. Search Sunshine Coast Foilers.. : )

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
21 Sep 2015 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Thecopterdr said..
Hi Skeb,
I've finally got some gear together too and live locally.
Let us know when you get that Facebook link up and running, I've got a few other mates that are up and going well also.

I've often looked at Mooloolaba and thought it would be a great spot, at least if it all turns to custard you'll get blown back onto the shore.
Where do you go when the wind is in the S or SE quadrant?

Not sure for S or SE.... I have been out the front of my house at Mt Coolum, and also been from Nth Shore... pretty much you just want limited swell so you can get out to deep water..

Mooloolaba is perfect for it, like you said you can always hit land if it all goes bad, and there are some shark nets, etc to set up a course around if your that way inclined.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
21 Sep 2015 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

I've kited Mooloolaba spit a few times but only when its northerly, still fine even with a bit of west in it.

I don't think its viable in a southerly as it would be offshore with a shocking wind shadow.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing The Hookup

"Foiling Sunshine Coast QLD" started by skebstebamal