Forums > Kitesurfing Tasmania

Looking to kite for 3 weeks in Tassie in January 2018, maybe meet some locals?1st time in Tasmania

Created by CC Wahine > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2018
CC Wahine
WA, 6 posts
2 Jan 2018 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hello,
We flew from Dunedin NZ to Perth to kite and are now heading to Tassie Thursday. It's our first time visiting Tasmania and we are renting a campervan. We'll definitely be heading up to Stanley to kite, but will also explore the rest of the island in search of good kiting spots. Wondering if there are any facebook kiting groups for Tasmania or if this is the best place to post? We would love to kite with some of the locals. Hoping we get decent internet access on the island. Any help with kiting and camping spots appreciated. We have no set itinerary.
Thanks!!

FoS
TAS, 1664 posts
3 Jan 2018 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

Thursday 11th looks awesome for stanley. The rest is looking a mess so the best place on the day will be a bit of a guess.
Just west of the stanley turn off is anthony beach road which goes to a beach that might work better in a westerley.

The windsurfers have setup the spot guide
www.thespotguide.com.au/TAS/index.html

CC Wahine
WA, 6 posts
3 Jan 2018 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks FoS. Wow, the 11th is a week away. I will check out Anthony Beach Road for a westerly. Much appreciated.
And I am going to check out the spot guide now. Thanks for the link.
Hope we get to meet you during our trip. I will keep checking back to this forum to see where folks are headed.
As a side note, it was really great to see so many windsurfers up at Coronation Beach. Most of the time, the windsurfers far outnumbered the kiters. Wow.
Cheers!

tyro
TAS, 29 posts
3 Jan 2018 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

If its a westerly you probably want to be at the ab farm in Stanley or the eastern end of 7 mile (Anthonys Beach) if you have a suitable vehicle to get onto the beach. 7 mile is worth checking out as a free camping spot, during the week it'd be pretty quiet but there's only a small car park no toilets etc, for good kiting in a westerly look up on google maps green hills road or the old cable station at Stanley to get to the right spot. At low tide its a bit of a walk out to the water, a couple of hours before high tide is the best time to kite the ab farm. I might see you out wind permitting.

CC Wahine
WA, 6 posts
4 Jan 2018 4:44AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks tyro. I will check out ab farm and Anthonys Beach. Sounds like good kiting and camping. We fly RRD Obsessions; 7, 9, 10.5, 12. Hope to see you there! Cheers.

CC Wahine
WA, 6 posts
10 Jan 2018 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

We are in Stanley now. Beautiful place! East wind today and hoping it picks up enough to kite.
Cheers!

tyro
TAS, 29 posts
11 Jan 2018 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

I was out on the foil yesterday zipping round between the main beach and the east inlet until the wind dropped off to much for me. I've been out at Peggs beach this morning in the chop on the surfboard & had a blast, if your still about today head round to Peggs Beach (which is back towards Pt Latta) or East Inlet at Stanley (on the way in/out of Stanley) on the incoming tide this afternoon.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Tasmania

"Looking to kite for 3 weeks in Tassie in January 2018, maybe meet some locals?1st time in Tasmania" started by CC Wahine