WA, 64 posts
6 Oct 2020 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Rider - Kiter since 2010
Weight - 75kg
Board - Shinn Monk Glitch 133x41
Wind - 18 to 25 knots
Kite - 2021 Duotone Dice 7m & 9m

I picked up a new 7m & 9m Duotone Dice and managed to get out on the water for a quick ride on both over the last 3 days.

The flying characteristics are similar to last year's model, details of the changes to the 2021 Dice can be found on the Duotone website so I will not mention them here. Given that the first day on the 9m was in gusty conditions (18 knots gusting up to 28 at times) the kite was very stable and held its shape well, no jelly fishing or fluttering. When a gust hits it flies further forward in the wind window, no ripping you off an edge or massive increase in bar pressure.

Like last year's model the Dice performs well in the jumping department, heights are marginally less than when I rode Rebels but the quick powerful loops are what sets it apart from the Rebel & Evo.

I spent an hour in the waves on one of the days and the Dice excels for an occasional down the line loop and has a reasonable amount of drift, sufficient to satisfy the part time wave rider in me but definitely not a "wave kite".

The kite is very reactive to bar input and the 3 pigtail positions (nothing new here) on the wingtips cater for any adjustments based on riding style. I changed them from medium to the soft setting on the 9m for slightly quicker turning. The hard setting is recommended for better bar feedback when jumping and looping, the jury is still out on this one. I rode my 2020 8m Dice on the soft setting after testing it on med/high settings and it still provided sufficient feedback to know where the kite was when jumping/kite looping. Bar pressure is still light on the "hard" setting when compared to some of the other freeride models on the market, more of a personal preference based on riding style I would stay.

A typical day on the water for me covers boosting, occasional wave riding and whatever else I attempt i.e. backroll transitions with a loop, jump transitions with a loop etc.

The Dice ticks all these boxes based on my requirements but don't take my word for it, go out and demo demo demo.

All the technical and marketing info can be found on the duotone site, links below:

www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/kites/dice/

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Duotone Dice 2021" started by Justhanging