Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

CrazyFly Sick bar 2021 falling apart during a jump

Created by Cezar > 9 months ago, 7 Nov 2021
Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
7 Nov 2021 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

This is as warning and request for your feedback.
2weeks ago my almost new bar named appropriately Sick fell apart 30min into a sesh during moderate conditions!
The catastrophic failure of the control bar happened at the height of 5.5m into 8-9m jump. The Woo registered 2.8sec time of fall.
The result of the free fall 4ribs smashed in 7 places!
The reaction of CrazyFly so far:
1. No apologies for their control bar failure.
2. No offer of compensation for pain&suffering, destroyed wetsuit/other gear/loss of earnings etc.
3. No explanation how such catastrophic failure could take place at all!
4. No request for more detailed photos or indeed the bar itself to examine this crucial part of our gear in
regard to the safety of the users!
5. No reaction to the fact the chicken loop line is MISSING on the photos!! Or perhaps it's not supposed to be there ????
6. The Australian C/F dealer refunded the cost of the bar and that's all, for CF the matter is now CLOSED!
In conclusion I quote the timely words of:
Juraj Bukovcak from CrazyFly in 2018 interview was asked:
"What's the most challenging part of designing a bar?
To be honest, the bar is definitely the most difficult product we make. I will repeat myself, but the most challenging part is safety. On the bar, nothing can break as this puts riders at high risk. All parts of the bar are very carefully designed to be extremely strong and durable"
I guess no comment here is necessary!
The relevant reports are now made to ACCC in Australia
and equivalent in the USA, the matter is also in the hands of my Lawyer.
If you can contribute in any way it will be appreciated.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
7 Nov 2021 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Recently I was bemoaning a bar failure that cost me gear, and the total lack of concern from the manufacturer. Someone mentioned that getting a lawyer involved when it happened to them snapped them to attention in a hurry...

Probably an American.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
11 Nov 2021 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

If anyone has interest on this subject there is a relevant discussion on kiteforum.com

Deefer
VIC, 117 posts
12 Nov 2021 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Bloody hell, I hope you weren't too far out to sea. That's one hell of a failure.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
12 Nov 2021 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

I was one lucky guy that day there was no one around that day except just one guy who happened to be right behind me ,and it was him who towed me to the beach, not far but there was not a chance I would make it myself!
Didnt even got his name though,let alone thanking him for perhaps saving my life, hope he understands why ..

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Nov 2021 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Why didn't you do a self rescue

Froth Goth
333 posts
13 Nov 2021 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

I understand the bar shouldnt have left factory without the grey chord thats imperitive to the structual nature of the design

But

If you knew how to ride unhooked then you would have not nearly died.

This isnt directed at you OP and more just the state kitesurfing as a sport is in australia.
If you cant ride unhooked you need to quit kitesurfing and buy a wingding or a sailboat leave the extreme sports to people with a bit of power to weight ratio like children, women or athletes not big old boombaboombas who cross theyre arms on theyre belly and talk about nonsense theyre just regurgitateing at the beach

Simply being able to touch your toes after a couple midstrengths have loosened you up doesnt make you fit to kitesurf. You should be able to ride unhooked at a minimum.

Deefer
VIC, 117 posts
13 Nov 2021 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vodka said..
I understand the bar shouldnt have left factory without the grey chord thats imperitive to the structual nature of the design

But

This isnt directed at you OP and more just the state kitesurfing as a sport is in australia.
If you cant ride unhooked you need to quit kitesurfing and buy a wingding or a sailboat leave the extreme sports to people with a bit of power to weight ratio like children, women or athletes not big old boombaboombas who cross theyre arms on theyre belly and talk about nonsense theyre just regurgitateing at the beach

Simply being able to touch your toes after a couple midstrengths have loosened you up doesnt make you fit to kitesurf. You should be able to ride unhooked at a minimum.

When the bar has self destructed in midair and you've landed and broken your ribs I'd say that being able to ride unhooked is the last thing on your mind.
Breathing with broken ribs is painful enough, I reckon having a harness digging in would make that worse and having it ride up even a little whilst you're body dragging your arse back to shore because of product failure would only top it off.

U don't ride CF by any chance?

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
13 Nov 2021 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Actually I can ride unhooked now :)Nobody else but the Crazy helped me to learn 5.5m above water surface!
Great work CrazyFly but I don't want any more lessons from you, sorry clowns ??

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
13 Nov 2021 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick follow up 3 weeks after accident and what the Cover up Artists from CrazyF did "achieve" during this time to establish why the new bar failed after 6/7 sessions in moderate conditions . No answers to the following:

1. Why pretty much new bar failed!
2. What is the size of the Power Line, is it true that as Evan claimed this critical for safety line is ONLY 2.5-3.0mm, rather than minimum 5.0 plus!!
3. Why the power line is completely gone in photos!?
4. Why the fact the line is missing gives CrazyF reason to refuse close inspection of the failed bar to establish what exactly happened and why!?
5. How the Power Line is fixed at both ends etc.

From 2 posts the CrazyF made we only know 2 things:

1. No inspection of the bar needed cos the Power Line is missing on my photos!!??
2. No compensation is warranted for my destroyed wetsuit and thermal top ( photos attached in this topic)
Not to mention for pain & suffering, time off work etc.
If anyone can answer any of the above pls do so

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
13 Nov 2021 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Show us a picture of your smashed ribs

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
13 Nov 2021 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Crazy fly still make gear? Damn haven't seen one of those kites for years.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
14 Nov 2021 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

one clever guy on kiteforum.com came up with these options:
1. Internal power line has been forgotten in assembly process (probality not very high but not unpossible)
2. Internal power line torn, leftovers got "somehow" lost --> why are there no leftovers?
3. And this is my vavourite one: Somebody (I really don?t know who) has replaced the depower rope with the wrong (short) version. Some people would say thats stupid but **** but it happens and there seems to be absolutely NO spare part documentation available in relation to this bar !!!!!!

Unfortunately the CrazyF or should I say Cover Up Artists won't help us to find why their Sick(****) Bar fell apart midair we have to continue ourselves!

goofy
WA, 161 posts
14 Nov 2021 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

Most likely sounds like point "2" broken power line. It looks like in the photo the cleat section is still complete, why don't you have a look there? If it has broken its highly likely one end should still be there.

Nearly all kite gear I've bought has come with some kind of caveat regarding kitesurfing is inherently dangerous do so at your own risk etc etc. With that in mind doubt you would get much more than a replacement or refund.

I also read your posts on kiteforum and to be honest most of your points are hearsay and you come across emotionally charged (and fair enough too injuries like that suck, hope you recover quickly) I suspect that is why you are not getting much responce from CF.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
14 Nov 2021 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mate, yes nr2 cos nr 1 or 3 are simply unthinkable! Right? but as the guy rightly said we can not exclude them.
I did try to unhook the PU tube to check what's left but could not get past removing the stoper ball,
No way to remove that tube from the depower cleat, I don't want to cut it yet since the matter is now in the hands of VJD and perhaps they will order the examination of the failed bar, we will see

The caveat you mentioned is fine that's the main reason we do it !But the manufacturers can't try to kill you with the bar that was used for 10-15hrs! It's simply no go, weather someone likes it or not.

Whats even worse when they refuse to take any steps whatsoever to find out what and why it happened and what to do not to repeat it, then you become emotionally charged??

For 2 weeks they did nothing except instructing the Dealer to refund the cost and apologise on their behalf. Later they issued 2statements on kiteforum.com:
1. No inspection of the bar required cos the power line is clearly missing on my photos! Are they Crazy or think everyone else is !?
2. No refund for my destroyed wetsuits warranted!

jn1
2454 posts
14 Nov 2021 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

"Big old boombaboomba" here. Sorry to hear your story Cezar. I hate it when you get a crap product online and crickets from vendor. I expect a product to at least work once. I would be happy with apology and them reevaluating their product. But, Instead it has to get ugly with a 1 star google review (which is actually a very powerful coercer now days).

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
14 Nov 2021 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Smashed ribs photo, cmon it adds go the drama

Froth Goth
333 posts
14 Nov 2021 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Deefer said..

vodka said..

But

When the bar has self destructed in midair and you've landed and broken your ribs I'd say that being able to ride unhooked is the last thing on your mind.
Breathing with broken ribs is painful enough, I reckon having a harness digging in would make that worse and having it ride up even a little whilst you're body dragging your arse back to shore because of product failure would only top it off.

Chicken loop failed
not the bar.
He could have just stayed holding onto the bar but his arms too.weak cause now the loop wasnt takeing the load into the harness

If the bar snapped in half like ive seen happen to hadlows flexifoils back in the day then yeah rideing unhooked even helped then cause it just became 2 handles.

Point is fellas if i can jump that high with no harness or chicken loop and not only survive but thrive and your actually concerned about this injury then i suggest you learn to wakeboard and then start unhooking on your kites.

They call them "cable arms" at the wake parks for a reason.

While your all rideing hooked in all the time its like claiming your lance armstrong but your on an electric bike with no pedals

Eat ya spinach boomers

Sandee
QLD, 146 posts
15 Nov 2021 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vodka said..

Deefer said..

vodka said..

But

Chicken loop failed
not the bar.
He could have just stayed holding onto the bar but his arms too.weak cause now the loop wasnt takeing the load into the harness

If the bar snapped in half like ive seen happen to hadlows flexifoils back in the day then yeah rideing unhooked even helped then cause it just became 2 handles.

Point is fellas if i can jump that high with no harness or chicken loop and not only survive but thrive and your actually concerned about this injury then i suggest you learn to wakeboard and then start unhooking on your kites.

They call them "cable arms" at the wake parks for a reason.

While your all rideing hooked in all the time its like claiming your lance armstrong but your on an electric bike with no pedals

Eat ya spinach boomers

Usually people who plan to unhook will have the kite trimmed for this, whereas an accidental/ unplanned disconnection results in sudden over-sheeting of the kite for max power and a sudden jerk. Reckon your "cable arms" are up for that?

Froth Goth
333 posts
15 Nov 2021 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Is this even a serious question or what?
I campus routes
And loop unhooked

Dont try make this about me. Its about you lot pretending your extreme sports athletes when hardly any of you can even rock climb as well as a small child. Go to a gym go to a cable park when you can do a muscle up or one armed pull up then you can have a cry about gear brakeing.

This bar breaking the way it did wouldnt have affected any wakestyle kiteboarder they would of just held onto the bar and lofted down body dragged in taken some photos got refund and more inportantly never purchased crazy fly gear in the first place. Causw they actually put time and effort into theyre sport rather then just let there wallet do all the work like you fattyfattyboombas do.

You ahouldnt kite further then you can swim and you shouldnt jump higher then your prepared to fall. This is all solved by being unhooked. If you think otherwise your just ignorant and im not surprised in the least.

Sandee
QLD, 146 posts
16 Nov 2021 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vodka said..
Is this even a serious question or what?
I campus routes
And loop unhooked

Dont try make this about me. Its about you lot pretending your extreme sports athletes when hardly any of you can even rock climb as well as a small child. Go to a gym go to a cable park when you can do a muscle up or one armed pull up then you can have a cry about gear brakeing.

This bar breaking the way it did wouldnt have affected any wakestyle kiteboarder they would of just held onto the bar and lofted down body dragged in taken some photos got refund and more inportantly never purchased crazy fly gear in the first place. Causw they actually put time and effort into theyre sport rather then just let there wallet do all the work like you fattyfattyboombas do.

You ahouldnt kite further then you can swim and you shouldnt jump higher then your prepared to fall. This is all solved by being unhooked. If you think otherwise your just ignorant and im not surprised in the least.

Just had to re-read this whole thread looking for evidence of all these "extreme sports athletes" wannabe's, but could only find one ??.
I don't understand your need to want to exclude anyone who's not able to boost unhooked (old, overweight, injured, female, newbies, whatever) from participating in other aspects of this great sport?
And, again, I'd really love to see how this "wakestyle legend" would deal with such an unexpected and sudden powering-up of the kite?

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
16 Nov 2021 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Just want to add that the CrazyF Crapbar fell apart before redirecting at about 2 o'clock at 5.5m on the way up to about 9m jump.
The jerk was massive and so my surprise
I can't imagine how I was supposed to do what vodka said:
"He could have just stayed holding onto the bar but his arms too.weak"

Sandee
QLD, 146 posts
16 Nov 2021 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cezar said..
Just want to add that the CrazyF Crapbar fell apart before redirecting at about 2 o'clock at 5.5m on the way up to about 9m jump.
The jerk was massive and so my surprise
I can't imagine how I was supposed to do what vodka said:
"He could have just stayed holding onto the bar but his arms too.weak"

Yeah, you'd think a kite-surfer should fully understand that. Wakeboarder legends. maybe not. Best not take clueless clowns seriously.

littlewing
QLD, 151 posts
17 Nov 2021 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

Cauncy, get in here, you can half armed pull up, rock climb without a rope or shoes, what are these nancy's doing? Didn't you invent kitesurfing? Vodka is your weaker little brother right?

I have had a similar experience at a lower height due to chicken loop failure and was not expecting a sudden pull mid jump, i also ashamedly fell, but thanks Vodka, next time im in that situation ill just do one arm pull ups and a little rock climbing followed by a buttery soft landing and then sprint home, wrestle a bear and make a nice jacket. Actually i wont be in that situation cause ill be riding perma unhooked now on anyways.

You are so hard core - you are my hero. Do you have vodka for breakfast? Climb everest on off weekends? School Chuck Norris? Bet you're a windwinger and you misinterpreted the forum.

Froth Goth
333 posts
17 Nov 2021 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Learn to read. I clearly stated girls and children can unhook. Its about power to weight ratio. But you misquoted to try win some lame **** on the internet. you need to get on down to the sailing club and pop yourself on a little hobie cat and sail off into the sunset with ya beer bellys and enjoy those twilight years if you cant unhook.

Or you know dont jump higher then you can fall. It use to clearly say in the manuals that kiteboarding was a dangerous sport and you shouldnt jump. Now all you old butter cup milk cows want to turn around and sue people cause your heart rate got elevated or or you cant hang onto a bar and fall in the water.

This isnt directed at OP but just a state of the scene as a whole. Yet heres the major manufacturers and the competition industry pandering to a bunch of dairys who cant produce any milk. Removeing freestyle and wakestyle not just from the competition scene but from that actual production lines themselves. And then doubleing down on **** kites with pullys and bridals and **** all meat in theyre wingtips so theyre loops are **** (but they float down so you dont hurt yourself )

Then rather then correct it and focus the r n d onto highend comp gear to let it trickle down they just dump it on theyre cashcow range.

Were going to see more and more people with ****all fitness getting themselves into situations when a competition is so heavily dependant on equipment and weather conditions instead of being on skill its inevitable the majority thats been pandered to will try and copy.

Anyways i look forward to all the injurys to come if you dont want it to happen to you go for a run and maybe a pullup or 2 wont hurt

littlewing
QLD, 151 posts
17 Nov 2021 5:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vodka said..
Learn to read. I clearly stated girls and children can unhook. Its about power to weight ratio. But you misquoted to try win some lame **** on the internet. you need to get on down to the sailing club and pop yourself on a little hobie cat and sail off into the sunset with ya beer bellys and enjoy those twilight years if you cant unhook.

Or you know dont jump higher then you can fall. It use to clearly say in the manuals that kiteboarding was a dangerous sport and you shouldnt jump. Now all you old butter cup milk cows want to turn around and sue people cause your heart rate got elevated or or you cant hang onto a bar and fall in the water.

This isnt directed at OP but just a state of the scene as a whole. Yet heres the major manufacturers and the competition industry pandering to a bunch of dairys who cant produce any milk. Removeing freestyle and wakestyle not just from the competition scene but from that actual production lines themselves. And then doubleing down on **** kites with pullys and bridals and **** all meat in theyre wingtips so theyre loops are **** (but they float down so you dont hurt yourself )

Then rather then correct it and focus the r n d onto highend comp gear to let it trickle down they just dump it on theyre cashcow range.

Were going to see more and more people with ****all fitness getting themselves into situations when a competition is so heavily dependant on equipment and weather conditions instead of being on skill its inevitable the majority thats been pandered to will try and copy.

Anyways i look forward to all the injurys to come if you dont want it to happen to you go for a run and maybe a pullup or 2 wont hurt

Ahh i see you are a windwinger

Froth Goth
333 posts
17 Nov 2021 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Windwings are the way of the future no injurys amd unhooked all the time

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
17 Nov 2021 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

I think we are completely off topic now thanks to vodka who does lecture us on skills and abilities what you can't help but appreciate though!
He raised very valid points like don't ride further than you can swim, don't jump higher you are prepared to fall, I would add don't kite on offshore without rescue.
Do I follow those golden rules!? Sorry but not ,I kite on offshore cos who can resist strong winds flat water combination!? I don't
Maybe not here where it's uncommon to kite on offshore wind but plenty opportunities o/s.
Did I almost die when wind dropped or fifth line of Rebel cut the kite in half !? Yes twice so far!
My jumps are pretty lame 12-13m range only, I don't have a good kiter weight of 70kg unfortunately ,but massive 87kg perhaps that the reason I cant jump higher in moderate Melbourne winds. Never or less I do it cos it gives me a thrill !
The fact it's dangerous is great thats the reason we do it in first place

My point to start the topic was that in spite of the fact we might get injured or in extreme case killed due to lack of skill, bravado, lack of gear maintenance etc.
we CANT let the Manufacturers to get us injured due to the faulty gear they sell us!
And what's even worse when they refuse to find out what went wrong and what to do to never repeat it, and that's is exactly what's happening in my case.
As the Manufacturer of this CF Sick(Crap) Bar stated:
" Since the Power Line is clearly missing on after accident photos the examination of the faulty bar in not required "

Either I'm crazy to think it's madness to say that ,or those CrazyF...s are...Crazy!!

weebitbreezy
617 posts
17 Nov 2021 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vodka said..
Go to a gym go to a cable park when you can do a muscle up or one armed pull up then you can have a cry about gear brakeing.

Can you do a one arm pull up? To be strong enough to even start to attempt learning one you need to be able to do pull ups with an extra 70% of your bodyweight. That's why the one arm pull up is a remarkable feat of strength. Plus that's a lot of extra weight for the average kitesurfer to have lying around your house to train with.

Also I see most of the wing surfers are starting to hook in to a harness so not sure that's the sport to encourage

RayQ
WA, 633 posts
18 Nov 2021 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

No chance hanging on to the bar when that happens, the surprise factor will just rip it out of your hands, maybe if you have been drinking enough vodka

Froth Goth
333 posts
20 Nov 2021 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

Well i agree with all you said in last post cezar

And yeah one arm pull ups are easy not sure why any of you have any disbelief in this?!? Go to a bouldering gym sometime and have a look around at everyone..... then go to your kite beach and look at everyone....

As for the manufacturer thing its pretty damn wild if that power line wasnt in there due to a lapse in quality control checking it... im interested to see why they dont just remove the powerline from a existing brand new bar ad then see if they can have a session or 2 without it. If it instantly fails then atleast they know you must of at some point had the powerline in your bar as you did get a couple sessions on it before it vanished from this realm.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"CrazyFly Sick bar 2021 falling apart during a jump" started by Cezar