Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2020 Konrad FLYR Foil (1296cm) Review

Created by eppo > 9 months ago, 3 Dec 2019
eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Dec 2019 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

My son and I (plus Jason from WA surf) had a foil session at the pond yesterday afternoon to check out the Konrad Sup/surf foil, with the smaller of the two surf/sup wings in 10-14 knots.

My son has been foiling (kiting and proning) on my 680 axis wing only since the last school holidays in Exmouth and my chief concern was whether or not he could hold this larger wing whilst kiting.

We watched a young shredder in Exmouth pumping this wing all over the Wobiri bay, so we knew it could pump well enough (and will be excellent for proning) but can it also serve as a freeride kite wing? That is, can his small 38kg frame hold this size wing down on a kite.

On first inspection it seems like this wing kind of sits between the axis 680 and 750 wing in terms of area (without getting too technical on projected area and volume which I know sweet FA about to be honest). It looks a lot thicker in the chord than the 680, and probably even the 750. So, both Jason and I were a little concerned the lift generated would be too much for the little squirt.

But we were all pleasantly surprised!

Only on a 60cm mast, Antman rarely, if at all, ventilated (we paired it with his 4 foot Konrad prone board). In-fact he really liked it and said he felt as though he could keep it down as easy, even easier than the 680. He said it felt really balanced, smooth and predictable. Well not really, he just said "it's good dad, I like it". Unlike me he doesn't dribble sh1t often, boy of few words.

I had a crack on it myself and his observations were spot on. I don't think I held it down any easier than the 680 but it was far easier than holding down the 750, especially in the gybes. In-fact I never got along with the 750 on a kite, although that is not its design objective anyway. It also didn't track too hard, and was quite loose and agile, no less than the 680 to be honest (which is my all time fav wing).

So Jason eventually had a crack (all three of us on the same board, with the mast at the same place by the way) and he too agreed with Antman's observations. He too was pleasantly surprised at how balanced and smooth it was. Of course, totally pedestrian for him compared to his normal fancy pants Armstrong carbon small wing thingy, doing his fancy pants moves, but he commented on how easy it would be for someone to learn their basic moves on it with the glide and time you have. We both observed how well this foil pumps to.

Perfect for freeride foiling and good cross over for proning and I suppose Supping with the bigger wing.

So for an average flogger like me who just wants to play around free foiling then use the same setup for proning/supping I reckon this foil is worth checking out; especially considering its really competitive price point.

Not putting my son in the flogger category though, because in 2 months he is already doing stuff I cannot do, the little prick :(

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
4 Dec 2019 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Great review Eppster !!

I was really impressed with the set up, probably the nicest kit i have seen and ridden for the money, designed in Oz by James Grundy which is a bonus.

Patrick is ripping on this set up for prone and kite and i'm sure Antman will be hot on his tail even Patrick's dad "THE REAL LARRY FOILER" has changed from his Go Foil set up too the Konrad Flyr for sup and wing foiling as they handle so well.

Perfect option for someone looking for a quality kite/surf/sup and wing foil kit.

WA Surf & Foil
WA, 250 posts
4 Dec 2019 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Been a lot of crew lately trying to find boards that they can kite/tow/surf and possibly wing on which will need the strap option and i feel these are 2 of the best options out there.

Armstrong Surf/Kite/Tow Board
Wave Chaser Carbon Foil Board

Greenarrowz
NSW, 301 posts
4 Dec 2019 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

I have a Konrad Flyer too which is my first foil...
I bought this mid aspect type for small waves early plaining and flat water fun.
Not interested in speed.
I've only got around 30 minutes foiling experience and with 5 yrs kiting under my belt...I got up basically straight away and can maintain pitch control.

Super easy to learn on with 60cm mast and gives a feel of confidence ... nice quality well built with carbon fibre wings which are Anhedral and dihedral that gives the best flying characteristics.
@ $650 brand new who can complain. I got a run out price.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
15 Dec 2019 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Update on the This Konrad foil (with the prone board). Couple of dock start sessions and he's on his way ....

also has his first prone session yesterday Morning (before the dock start sesh in the arvo). Seems to work great in the waves to. Didn't get any footage cause I was out with him.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
19 Dec 2019 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

How about this ... towing antman on his Konrad foil with a car on a beach...

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
19 Dec 2019 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a little vid of guys riding the foils and boards:

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
19 Dec 2019 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Good reports and reviews coming in so seems these guys have stepped up big time .
Well done and I think an Aussie company.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
20 Dec 2019 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh Aussie company. Not that I care if the product wasn't up to scratch. But it is!! My son and I can Swap on the same Konrad foil with the same kite and there is a good 40kg difference between us. It has a really even and controllable foil rise and fall.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 481 posts
20 Dec 2019 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Yes an Aussie company, James (Mr Konrad) is based in Sydney and has been developing foils for a few years now, the 2020 foil has been a big step up, the two wing sizes cover just about everything you need in a foil, a lot of crew are making the changeover with some of the really good young guys onboard already pushing the limits in all aspects of foiling.

We have been using the 2020 FLYR for Prone foiling, Wind Winging and kiting over the last 6 months, two wing options and 4 mast sizes mean just about everyone is covered for their needs.

If you need more info we have the foils in the shop and always happy to advise www.exmouthsurfcentre.com.au/products/foils/surf-foils/

Demo available for anyone lucky enough to be in Exmouth ????????

pro merc
NSW, 300 posts
20 Dec 2019 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a link in the foiling section to another rider review.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Foiling/2019-KONRAD-foil-review

Konrad boarding is an Australian company. It started with alloy kite foils and a few years ago branched into the surf foils with a whole new platform called the "FLYR". There are some unique designs and materials used in the foils which set them apart.

www.konradboarding.com/flyr-foil/

Stevie ss
WA, 16 posts
10 Apr 2020 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick comment on the foil cord thickness as in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics a thicker cord makes for a slower and for stable wing section ,just saying :)

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
11 Apr 2020 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stevie ss said..
Just a quick comment on the foil cord thickness as in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics a thicker cord makes for a slower and for stable wing section ,just saying :)

As most of us would have seen wing tip daggers - winglets on aeroplanes at the tips are designed to throw the vortex generated by the lift force aerodynamics (but any fluid is same) away behind the wing so impact less = fuel economy.

With these angled down especially on bigger slower wings - would assume the opposite to provide extra drag and speed control???
And as another throw-away though - with anhedral in the wing more stability????
Any knowledge on this??
Cheers
AP

Leighbreeze
WA, 531 posts
14 Apr 2020 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Yeh Aussie company. Not that I care if the product wasn't up to scratch. But it is!! My son and I can Swap on the same Konrad foil with the same kite and there is a good 40kg difference between us. It has a really even and controllable foil rise and fall.

Select to expand quote
West Oz Kite said..
Been a lot of crew lately trying to find boards that they can kite/tow/surf and possibly wing on which will need the strap option and i feel these are 2 of the best options out there.

Armstrong Surf/Kite/Tow Board
Wave Chaser Carbon Foil Board

Hey Jase,Epps I also have this set up but with the larger 1576cm2 which is as you say balanced And fun .Was chatting to James at Konrad he mentioned he's engineering the process of making an even larger front wing around 1900cm2. Will be awesome for Sup ,prone and wing.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
24 Apr 2020 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

I'm on the Konrad 1576 too. It's a pumping beast, I can jump on the flats for days. And it's really fun on the kite. It's lift is so predictable and gradual. Much more fun to kite with then other prone surf wings

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2020 Konrad FLYR Foil (1296cm) Review" started by eppo