Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

Carbinha overdrive bar (2014) with other kites

Created by Panini > 9 months ago, 18 Mar 2018
Panini
1 posts
18 Mar 2018 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

I was wondering if I can use my 2014 overdrive bar with different kites? I can not really find a deffinitive answer after Googling. I find it rubbish to buy 3 different bars for 3 different kites. Best would be to rather use 1 bar for different kites and replace it more often.

I have 2 other kites I would like to use it with: Nobile 50/fifthy kite (2016) and a North Evo (2010).

psychojoe
WA, 1879 posts
18 Mar 2018 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

There's other people that would know better but from what I understand, if they're all 4 line kites it'll be fine so long as the bar came with the biggest kite because a smaller kite's bar might not fully flag out a bigger kite when you pull the safety

EightyEight
2 posts
20 Mar 2018 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

I've used my overdrive on multiple brands with no issues, as above it just needs to be a 4 line kite - I'm pretty sure the North Evo is a 5 line. Also watch the bar length.

Kit3kat
QLD, 139 posts
15 Apr 2018 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Incredible that there are still people using the 2014 overdrive bar.

Now out of interest. When you use that bar with a non cabrinha kite, does the depower on demand feature still work?

Scrubes
VIC, 115 posts
22 Apr 2018 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

like said, works on most 4 lines and have used on my Fluid kites, good bar on land not so good releasing on the water, hard to reset.

Kit3kat
QLD, 139 posts
25 Apr 2018 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

yeah i had the same issue with my 2014 bar. the 2015 bar fixes that.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
25 Apr 2018 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scrubes said..
like said, works on most 4 lines and have used on my Fluid kites, good bar on land not so good releasing on the water, hard to reset.

First thing I did with the 2012/3 bar was pull the QR and put it back together. Then I did it one handed. Then I did it with my left hand.

I've never understood how anyone could have problems with it

Scrubes
VIC, 115 posts
25 Apr 2018 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

Scrubes said..

First thing I did with the 2012/3 bar was pull the QR and put it back together. Then I did it one handed. Then I did it with my left hand.

struggled with it in deep water, ended up riding unhooked back to shore.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
26 Apr 2018 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scrubes said..

Kamikuza said..

Scrubes said..

struggled with it in deep water, ended up riding unhooked back to shore.

Just can't understand that eh. I don't believe I'm Captain Super Dextrous or anything, so if I can do, surely anyone can!

Maybe it's just the practice I've had with the pre-2012 ones...I've had to do the leash a couple of times underwater too -- left-handed.

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
28 Apr 2018 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

I hated the 2014 bar. An over engineered piece of crap. Especially the recoil one.

To your question. Most kites fly on 4 lines of equal length. The pigtails are often different but you can solve this buy buying a set of Ozone pigtails for $20 and attaching these to the offending kite's bridals (not your bar). That way your setup time will be quicker.

The main thing to look out for however is the safety system and whether the kite is designed to fly with a low v bar (cabrinha, switch, naish and most other brands) or a high v bar (north and core).

I dont understand the mechanics of the safety line flagging well enough to explain here other than there are several designs and some kites will not fully depower / flag out correctly if used with the wrong bar. You shpuld research what flagging system the kite requires that you intend to use it with.

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
28 Apr 2018 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

Scrubes said..

Have you successfully done it in deep water with tension in your lines and the kite dragging you through the water?. It's almost impossible.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
28 Apr 2018 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macster said..

Kamikuza said..

Scrubes said..

Have you successfully done it in deep water with tension in your lines and the kite dragging you through the water?. It's almost impossible.

On 2011 & 2017 bars (and leashes) -- yes. I needed two hands though ;) The 2011 was more problematic because the loop stays on the hook and you can't see it.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
28 Apr 2018 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macster said..
I hated the 2014 bar. An over engineered piece of crap. Especially the recoil one.

Yeah, after the 2011 bars which were dead simple, the jump to all that crap in there was a fright. You can thank the handle passers for that disaster.

Kit3kat
QLD, 139 posts
29 Apr 2018 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macster said..

To your question. Most kites fly on 4 lines of equal length. The pigtails are often different but you can solve this buy buying a set of Ozone pigtails for $20 and attaching these to the offending kite's bridals (not your bar). That way your setup time will be quicker.

The main thing to look out for however is the safety system and whether the kite is designed to fly with a low v bar (cabrinha, switch, naish and most other brands) or a high v bar (north and core).

I dont understand the mechanics of the safety line flagging well enough to explain here other than there are several designs and some kites will not fully depower / flag out correctly if used with the wrong bar. You shpuld research what flagging system the kite requires that you intend to use it with.

not saying the 2014 bar was great. the mini5th never worked properly. bar didnt float. Safety was impossible to reset.

The centre tubing was great though at preventing lines tangeling around the bar and the recoil spring increased the useable windrange by quite a bit. A 9m Switchblade would fly in 14 - 40 knots. I remember it was one session in particular where the wind increased like crazy and in gusts the kite didn't even care where the leading edge was - you could go either way xD.
No probs with depower on demand. - yes other kites could achieve that too but it leads to a very long bar throw which isn't practical in real life.

The other thing was that the bar was very comfortable to grab for sensitive hands. I toy with the idea every session to put some handlebartape around my Switch controller 3 bar...

Scrubes
VIC, 115 posts
2 May 2018 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macster said..

Kamikuza said..

Scrubes said..

Thank you, thought it was just me.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
2 May 2018 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scrubes said..

Macster said..

Kamikuza said..

Scrubes said..

Thank you, thought it was just me.

Just you two maybe ;)

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
8 May 2018 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

If the lines are the same length, good to go. Maybe check you haven't overstretched the back or front lines. Generally safety systems operate regardless of what's going on with the kite. All 4 line systems flag on one of the front lines so you should have no problem. I wouldn't worry about bar length. I rode a 38cm bar on a 14.5 vegas. Only kooks, and newbies ride big bars.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

"Carbinha overdrive bar (2014) with other kites" started by Panini