Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

2013 cabrinha vector 7m

Created by Stin > 9 months ago, 25 Dec 2016
Stin
9 posts
25 Dec 2016 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
I just purchased this kite. But we haven't agreed on the final payment yet. It seems to be in good condition. I was willing to pay 500$ , she wants 700$ , could someone tell me what it might actually be worth? It comes with bar (okay condition) and pump.

cheers, Stin

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
25 Dec 2016 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Stin,

It all comes down to how much ''life'' is left in the kite and bar/lines. It takes some experience to properly inspect kite equipment, assess it's condition and value.

If the kite has no repairs and no leaks and the lines aren't frayed anywhere that's usually a good first sign. A good question to ask is approximately how many sessions has the kite done ? Most people will be able to give you a rough approximation like 50, 100, 150 + etc.

What decreases the life span of a kite the most is leaving them flapping in the wind on the beach exposed to the sun for a few hours every day, which a lot of people do when they take breaks between sessions. If you buy a kite from someone who kites almost every day and left the kite flapping like this for a few hours every day, it will most likely be towards the end of its life even after only 1 year. The easiest way to inspect this is to put the canopy between your eyes and direct sunlight and look for signs of fabric deterioration (i.e. light poking through the fabric), the first signs of weakness usually show around the trailing edge area (where the kite flaps the most). If the fabric looks and feels weak this will greatly increase the risk of tearing the kite upon impact (hard crash in the water). Same for lines, if they are starting to fray anywhere, it's a sign they will most likely break soon.

At the end of the day $700 for a 7m top brand kite with bar is less than 1/3 of the retail price, so if it has at least 1/3 of ''life'' left in it or more it's probably worth it. For $500 the kite would be ''well used'' i.e. someone who has used it over 150 sessions.

hope this helps,
Christian

Stin
9 posts
25 Dec 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you. That was really helpful. I tested the kite today and the fabric shows that it was used a lot. It also has a patch near the tube. The lines look well used too, but it flys, so I guess that's a good sign.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
25 Dec 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

sorry to piss on your parade
but it sounds too steep from examples ive seen recently, theres some rippers around $500-600 mark, you just need to be patient

2stubborn2quit
WA, 169 posts
25 Dec 2016 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

A 2013 Cabrinha Vector well used with patches - not even worth the petrol to drive across town to look at it. Do yourself a big favour and shop around so many better kites in better condition.

Beerhunter
NSW, 42 posts
26 Dec 2016 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Tell her she's dreamin mate.
$350 based on your description.
cheers

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
26 Dec 2016 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
2old2quit said..
A 2013 Cabrinha Vector well used with patches - not even worth the petrol to drive across town to look at it. Do yourself a big favour and shop around so many better kites in better condition.

agreed. Remember that well used kites are much more fragile, i.e. they will tear easily upon hard impact (crash in the water), which is more likely if you're a newbie learning tricks for example. Also remember old lines will eventually break. I learned both those lessons myself the hard way as a Newbie. Look for a kite in better condition.

Stin
9 posts
26 Dec 2016 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, I'll see if she agrees with 350$, I'm not very patient. I'll do better with my next purchase. I still need an 11m kite since Nelson Bay (NZ) doesn't have a lot of strong wind. Man this sport is expensive! But windsurfing was just as bad and not very travel friendly.

Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

"2013 cabrinha vector 7m" started by Stin