Forums > Kitesurfing General

Whyalla best tide height?

Created by Rob S > 9 months ago, 17 Dec 2011
Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
17 Dec 2011 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

I've travelled home to Melbourne from WA through Whyalla 3 times. Have not been lucky with wind and recently tides. I'd like to plan next years trip a little better to increase my chances of kiting the foreshore for a few days in mid December.

Can any Whyalla locals tell me the tide level reading that would have a foot of water over the big sand flats at foreshore beach?

WF
SA, 116 posts
17 Dec 2011 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

During summer it is almost always low tide in the afternoon, to get a foot of water over the whole area you would normally have to wait until 5 or 6pm, but most people will be out well before that, just have to walk a bit further.
You could always try False Bay, just up the road, always enough water there.

Cheers

AB

Rob S
VIC, 391 posts
17 Dec 2011 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

WF said...

During summer it is almost always low tide in the afternoon, to get a foot of water over the whole area you would normally have to wait until 5 or 6pm, but most people will be out well before that, just have to walk a bit further.
You could always try False Bay, just up the road, always enough water there.

Cheers

AB

At first I thought that can't be right. But on checking the tide forecast it does seem that low tide does concentrate around mid / late afternoon. Height was 0.4 when I was there. Some later low tide forecasts show as 1 metre deep. But that's probably not much water over the flats anyway. So, Long walk out to the deep water or False Bay. Thanks for your help

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Whyalla best tide height?" started by Rob S