Forums > Kitesurfing General

Which are the best kite spots in Australia

Created by jb74 > 9 months ago, 15 Jan 2016
jb74
33 posts
15 Jan 2016 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

We've chosen Australia as our kite trip for this year (we'll fly there from Europe).
Neither me nor my wife was in this continent yet. We plan to spend three weeks in Australia, either in April or May.
We are looking rather for flat/choppy water than wavy. And we prefer large beaches where there is space enough for launch and land.
Can you advise which coast to focus on? East or West, South or North?
Where can we find big, windy kite spots at this part of the year?
Thanks in advance.

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
15 Jan 2016 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Go to WA for guaranteed wind and there is something there for everyone if you have a car and are willing to drive.

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
15 Jan 2016 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greggor said...
Go to WA for guaranteed wind and there is something there for everyone if you have a car and are willing to drive.

Not in April or May, absolute worst time of the year.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
15 Jan 2016 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

globalkitespots.com/kitesurf-spots-may/

wrong country bro.

but maybe exmouth/dougies ill let you do the googleing on that for yourself

oh and just to clarify im not some aussie trying to keep the worlds best kiteing secret by pretending its ****.

IT IS ****

honestly the kiteing all year even in peak season is **** in australia compared to most other countrys. your going to have a far better time paying $5 a day and kiteing in far better wind somewhere else then like $40 a day wondering where the wind is in australia. especially in april may.

we definitely have HUGE beaches with no one on them. you could kite every day of the week in a new beach by yourself for months in a van. BUT that "could" is all dependable on the wind. we have kilometers of lonely beaches we drive up and down them like highways in 4wd's but the wind is just ****. theres not a place in oz that doesnt have some silly weather saying like tasmanias jacket on jacket off or queenslands 4 seasons in 1 days nonsense. we are a very large island in middle butt**** nowhere with a very dry arid climate in the center.

jb74
33 posts
15 Jan 2016 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..

Greggor said...

Not in April or May, absolute worst time of the year.

So, you say not to go there at all in winter time (although the winter in AU it's like the spring in Central Europe:-)) ?
I don't know why I thought that the wind blows in AU throughout the year...in this case we'll have to postpone the trip to November...

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
15 Jan 2016 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

just edited my above post i honestly hope you read it. if you are comeing for kitesurfing i do think you should postpone or look up the 2 spots i suggested. if you plan on doing anything else like surf or whatever then by all means come itll be great but strictly for kiteing theres an endless amount of better choices out there that im sure even 2 euro kiters havent been to yet.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
15 Jan 2016 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

That time of year the season starts in North Queensland. In central Queensland there is still loads of wind, but you could get hit with a time where you might not get wind for 2 weeks, (like what's happening at the moment).

jb74
33 posts
15 Jan 2016 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Kozzie said..

wrong country bro.

oh and just to clarify im not some aussie trying to keep the worlds best kiteing secret by pretending its ****.

IT IS ****

honestly the kiteing all year even in peak season is **** in australia compared to most other countrys. your going to have a far better time paying $5 a day and kiteing in far better wind somewhere else then like $40 a day wondering where the wind is in australia. especially in april may.

we definitely have HUGE beaches with no one on them. you could kite every day of the week in a new beach by yourself for months in a van. BUT that "could" is all dependable on the wind. we have kilometers of lonely beaches we drive up and down them like highways in 4wd's but the wind is just ****. theres not a place in oz that doesnt have some silly weather saying like tasmanias jacket on jacket off or queenslands 4 seasons in 1 days nonsense. we are a very large island in middle butt**** nowhere with a very dry arid climate in the center.

Thanks Kozzie!
I like more your "edited" version than the first dry answer.
Yep, we'll definitely postpone the trip.
"...then like $40 a day..." - you mean in AU you have to pay cca 40AUD/day for using the kite spot? That's a lot! In Europe you pay around 5 EUR for a day...or you don't have to pay at all...it depends.

jb74
33 posts
15 Jan 2016 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..
That time of year the season starts in North Queensland. In central Queensland there is still loads of wind, but you could get hit with a time where you might not get wind for 2 weeks, (like what's happening at the moment).

Yep, it seems that I did not do a thorough check about the weather...

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
15 Jan 2016 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

Hi jb74,

you don't necessarily need to cancel your trip, maybe just lower your expectations and be willing to drive around. This time of year is great to explore the mid-west, North-West and cross around to the East coast. As Kemp said, the SE trade winds start around May in North Queensland.

Last year I had excellent wind conditions in Late April to kite around Shark Bay, Exmouth, etc. totally uncrowded and perfect weather

But yes, winds would be no good in Perth for example as it's the beginning of the winter season so any winds would be mostly front driven.

Christian

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
15 Jan 2016 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

jb74 said..

Kozzie said..

wrong country bro.

IT IS ****

Thanks Kozzie!
I like more your "edited" version than the first dry answer.
Yep, we'll definitely postpone the trip.
"...then like $40 a day..." - you mean in AU you have to pay cca 40AUD/day for using the kite spot? That's a lot! In Europe you pay around 5 EUR for a day...or you don't have to pay at all...it depends.

a very very cheap backpackers is $20 each a night. the cheapest cuts of meat and mince is approx $8 a kilo milks only $1 a litre bread $1 a loaf (but all euro hate our milk and bread and cheese) so yeah it adds up fast. you can forget about smoking tobbacco as its about $1 a cigerette (yes each cigarette) petrol is cheap at $1.20 litre but the distances are huge. were talking 4 days drive brisbane to cairns in a rental van. beer at a pub is $10 a pint $6 a schooner $15 for 6pack from bottle o

now... for asia where theres ridiculous amounts of consistant wind

very cheap backpackers $2 each a night, cheapest cuts meat $1-2 a kilo milk doesnt exist bread doesnt exist neither does cheese (unless you go to expat store and rob the joint cause they charge to much) smoking is $1 for 25 cigrettes petrol is $2.20 a litre (but car engine so small only needs a whiff and the distances are super short) beer at bar is $1 spirits is $1 $15 for 24pack at bottle o

timmybuddhadude
WA, 739 posts
15 Jan 2016 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

I met some backpackers that rented a clapped out van for three weeks at 3800..
My advice is dont do that!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Which are the best kite spots in Australia" started by jb74