Forums > Kitesurfing General

WA Northern Suburbs locations to kite

Created by Farva > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2016
Farva
WA, 21 posts
24 Nov 2016 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Is there anyone here in WA who lives North of Quinns around the Jindalee area? Or does anyone know the best beaches up this way to kite at? Jindalee seems like there's a few too many rocks near shore to make it a viable spot..

Appreciate any info

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
24 Nov 2016 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Farva said..
Is there anyone here in WA who lives North of Quinns around the Jindalee area? Or does anyone know the best beaches up this way to kite at? Jindalee seems like there's a few too many rocks near shore to make it a viable spot..

Appreciate any info

I was kiting the Alkimos wreck beach for a few years before they opened up the park and road.

Its ok, but dont kite alone.

e0422713
WA, 975 posts
24 Nov 2016 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

nah nothing around.

BatKiter
WA, 209 posts
24 Nov 2016 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Farva said..

Appreciate any info

I live in Butler.. so I'm in the same ship as you I went to Alkimos and didnt like it. So I just travel to Mullaloo

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
24 Nov 2016 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, kite spots between Claytons and Two Rocks are pretty hard to find

About the only place not worth kiting is between the dog beach and Jindalee. Just too many rocks. That said theres been a couple of people lately kiting at the dog beach and my mate lives on ocean drive and got a letter about putting in a kitesurfing launch area at the park above the dog beach for paragliders and kiters. Odd

Quinns is the most popular, a busy arvo is 6/8 blokes out but we might all be looking for a new place in January depending on where they put the shark nets and how long they are. Might all have to go to Mullaloo

Eden Beach is now better there are no fkwits in 4wds running over your lines and the kids can play on one of the biggest slides in perth. Cafe going in soon too.

BatKiter
WA, 209 posts
24 Nov 2016 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MDSXR6T said..
Yeh, kite spots between Claytons and Two Rocks are pretty hard to find

About the only place not worth kiting is between the dog beach and Jindalee. Just too many rocks. Quinns is the most popular, a busy arvo is 6/8 blokes out but we might all be looking for a new place depending on where they put the shark nets and how long they are. Might all have to go to Mullaloo

Eden Beach is now good there are no fkwits in 4wds running over your lines and the kids can play on one of the biggest slides in perth. Cafe going in soon too

I havent tried Eden beach.. will go and scout it tomorrow :)

ste
WA, 499 posts
24 Nov 2016 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Don't knock the shark shield. We can do tricks on the inside, so you don't get eaten when you fall off

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
24 Nov 2016 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

met a few guys from Quinns that kite up at Two Rocks, park at Leemans landing, great beach, grass, shower, etc

DJMWA
WA, 342 posts
24 Nov 2016 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SugarQube said...
met a few guys from Quinns that kite up at Two Rocks, park at Leemans landing, great beach, grass, shower, etc

Leeman's landing isn't bad but just a heads up, it's nearly directly onshore with SW (and gets quite lumpy) and the carpark is suss as, do not leave any valuables.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
25 Nov 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DJMWA said..

SugarQube said...

Leeman's landing isn't bad but just a heads up, it's nearly directly onshore with SW (and gets quite lumpy) and the carpark is suss as, do not leave any valuables.

Yes all true, the wind, where you come out on to the beach is almost onshore, the waves can get head high faces, but its actually quite a bit of fun fanging through there. as the beach curves further out to sea the direction becomes more side.

DJMWA
WA, 342 posts
26 Nov 2016 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

I agree, can be very fun when there's a bit of swell around. Not so fun when I was a beginner and couldn't get out past the sets due to the onshore, many many dummyspits at this joint

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
26 Nov 2016 6:37AM
Thumbs Up

Eden Beach is also very onshore in a SW and seems to be the first place to see any swell in that area in that part of the coast.

3.5m shark 50m off the beach yesterday at Quinns in calm conditions. Yet with all the people swimming, clubbies and people walking along the cliffs no one could identify it or take photo's or snapchat their mates!

Very convenient given the announcement of a new shark net

Keaw Yed.
WA, 200 posts
26 Nov 2016 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

I'm on Shorehaven and kited it a few times last season

Its not he best but its local, tend to go to Pinnas as it is on my way home from work m-f

Will however have to get used to kiting at Shorehaven at weekends
Its a trek to and from Pinnas at a weekend, esp driving down from here (South Gero )
Spend what is over 1hr driving when its a 2 min drive to Shorehaven, plus its got a cafe for an after kite aperitif

Must say though Edan Beach for some reason does look nicer, not kited it yet

Farva
WA, 21 posts
26 Nov 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, I have scouted a few beaches up here and it definitely looks like there's a lot of rocks everywhere up here! I went and had a look at eden yesterday, even with only around 17 knts it definitely looked bumpy, but with no waves so not the fun type of bumpy. Although the idea that there is stuff all people up here definitely appeals!!

After all the stories I have heard about resident great whites and haunts at the Alkimos wreck I might stick to just enjoying the cafe there ;).

I might just have to bite the bullet and either head south to mullaloo (my old local) or go north to lancelin!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"WA Northern Suburbs locations to kite" started by Farva