Forums > Kitesurfing General

The Best Asian Kitesurfing Destinations - Updated for 2018!

Created by extremenomads > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2018
extremenomads
13 posts
6 Apr 2018 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone!

I'm Jim, kitesurfing videographer and photographer based in Thailand. We have just launched a kind of grassroots site with my girlfriend to help fellow action sport travelers and digital nomads find their next dream spot, for kiters, surfers, wakeboarders, paragliders, hikers or even cyclists! We've just published a fresh list of the 7 best kiteboarding locations in Asia, without the obvious and oversaturated Mui Ne and Boracay (which is actually about to close down!).

Check it out and feel free to let us know if you have other spots we should cover!

Read the post extremenomads.life/best-kiteboarding-locations-in-asia/

Happy winds!

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
6 Apr 2018 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Oman?

Or is this only focused on the Orient?

extremenomads
13 posts
7 Apr 2018 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah heard some good stuff about Oman! And it is technically in Asia, so will keep it in the books ;)

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
7 Apr 2018 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Nice .. great list. Thanks for posting. A few more to try !

Philippines has so many spots, but I really enjoyed pagudpud - kingfisher. Nice mix of wave, flat and ocean riding. Windier than most other Philippine spots I've been and hit about 25 knots most afternoons.

extremenomads
13 posts
8 Apr 2018 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeah Philippines got so much potential, probably the most out of all Asian countries. Our friend Kathrin runs www.kitesurf-mindoro.com - which will open again at the start of the Amihan season in october. Defo a must try.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
8 Apr 2018 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

Can you please put in your list - average wind strengths (real) and Windiest months on a low high low scale..

No travel pamphlet bull..

archie00
NSW, 137 posts
9 Apr 2018 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Yes - I know Kathrin through racing. She runs really good setups - will have a look at her latest.

For Save The Whales - there seemed to be quite a bit of wind info on that list already. My experience of Asia is that Vietnam spots are moderate - around the 20 to 25 knots and lots of places to go. Philippines - the mid areas seem to be 10 - 20 knots when I've been there and the Northern spots winder at 25 knots +. Thailand I have only done a couple of times and was a mix with light days and days around 20 knots. Taiwan is crazy - almost too windy the one time I went. Hainan was solid around 15 - 20 knots everyday two times I have been. Indo - couple of spots I went where quite light .. Usual rule that the more equatorial spots will most likely be lighter.

extremenomads
13 posts
12 Apr 2018 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

@Archie: Funny you know Kathrin too but not that surprising, she's been all over the place that badass woman :D

@Savethewhales: Sorry our article was not meeting your expectations...! I would kindly suggest that if you are really interested in one of these spots, the best way to collect your data is by browsing the windguru archives, the weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/ - or even earth.nullschool.net/ for current world conditions. But I can't help assuming from your requests that you probably are an experienced kitesurfer and therefore I would think you already know perfectly all these tools. So I'm not exactly sure what was behind all this ;)

Antigrav
5 posts
13 Apr 2018 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Have to agree with you on Mannar, what an insane spot!

I spent some time up there last year at www.kitesurfingmannar.com with Dil and Leo, the guys from Kitesurfing Lanka. Probably some of the best flat water riding you'll ever do, so much space and the wind is amazing! Will have to check out some of the others on the list :)

extremenomads
13 posts
13 Apr 2018 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

@Antigrav - It sure does! Dil and Leo are actually the ones who helped us to build our Kalpitiya sports guide for digital nomads - extremenomads.life/5-adventurous-things-to-do-in-kalpitiya-sri-lanka/

I've only been to Kalpitiya myself about 5 years ago and thought it was good but quite gusty. I even popped my shoulder out landing on very shallow parts doing the downwinder to the dream spot. Spent 2 hours rocked on the fishing boat screaming my balls out until I found someone (Leo's dad, an ex ski resort doctor, thanks to him!) to put it back in... Still, can't wait to go check Mannar out next time!

Let us know when you've checked one of the other spots, would be cool to hear your thoughts!

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
18 Apr 2018 1:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
archie00 said..
Nice .. great list. Thanks for posting. A few more to try !

Philippines has so many spots, but I really enjoyed pagudpud - kingfisher. Nice mix of wave, flat and ocean riding. Windier than most other Philippine spots I've been and hit about 25 knots most afternoons.

Hi mate,

I've been thinking of Kingfisher for sometime but every video and pick I've seen shows a very onshore or cross on conditions for the waves. I only wave ride and if its what I described... then not worth the trip. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Eugene

Waveswindy
NSW, 114 posts
18 Apr 2018 1:07AM
Thumbs Up

extremenomads said..
Hi everyone!

I'm Jim, kitesurfing videographer and photographer based in Thailand. We have just launched a kind of grassroots site with my girlfriend to help fellow action sport travelers and digital nomads find their next dream spot, for kiters, surfers, wakeboarders, paragliders, hikers or even cyclists! We've just published a fresh list of the 7 best kiteboarding locations in Asia, without the obvious and oversaturated Mui Ne and Boracay (which is actually about to close down!).

Check it out and feel free to let us know if you have other spots we should cover!

Happy winds!

Hi,

Great article but could not find something specific I was after :-) Do you have any info on great wave riding spots? My mates and I are a fickle bunch and we only waveride and surf :-)

thanks in advance.

Beersy
TAS, 753 posts
19 Apr 2018 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Taiwan- zhunan and China-dalian

extremenomads
13 posts
23 Apr 2018 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

EugeneZA said..

extremenomads said..
Hi everyone!

Happy winds!

Hi,

Great article but could not find something specific I was after :-) Do you have any info on great wave riding spots? My mates and I are a fickle bunch and we only waveride and surf :-)

thanks in advance.

Hey,

Indeed wave spots for kiters aren't as easy to find in Asia. I'm not a wave rider myself so probably won't have anything in mind that you already know about. I would suggest to look up mostly Philippines and New Caledonia. For the Philippines, obviously Siargao as mentioned in the article, but you could also check out Daet in Camarines Norte, where we ran a successful KTA event back in 2011 (check video

Mike Kites is the local kiteschool and should have all the info you need. Waves were not that clean the week we were there (storm weather) but there are surf schools operating too so maybe something worth looking at.

Then New Cal I'm guessing you already know about. After that I'd say Sumatra in Indonesia and Papua New Guinea seems to have some amazing spots too with plenty left to discover ( www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Papua-New-Guinea-PNG-follow-up?page=1 )

KarolinaKite
NSW, 22 posts
30 Jan 2019 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

My favourite spot in Asia is in Pingtan, China. Very good wind and big variety of conditions in one location.

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
30 Jan 2019 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KarolinaKite said..
My favourite spot in Asia is in Pingtan, China. Very good wind and big variety of conditions in one location.

Tell me more. When did you go? Wettie? Where did you stay?

AlbanWave
27 posts
1 Feb 2019 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

EugeneZA said..

extremenomads said..
Hi everyone!

Happy winds!

Hi,

thanks in advance.

If you are into kite waveriding in Asia, then Sumbawa and its wave Nungas ... best you will find in Indonesia for kitesurf
A lot of wave clinics organized there during dry season

AlbanWave
27 posts
10 Mar 2019 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

The guide title should be "9 good spots" not "best spots"

Siargao in the Philippines is a weird choice to replace Boracay when you have Kingfisher or Negros with much better wind

Lombok is not even in my top 5 in Indonesia

Otherwise the rest seems ok (I don't know the Korean spot)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"The Best Asian Kitesurfing Destinations - Updated for 2018!" started by extremenomads