Forums > Kitesurfing General

Surfboard Glassing Weight vs Strength

Created by bene313 > 9 months ago, 25 Aug 2016
bene313
WA, 1347 posts
25 Aug 2016 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

I've been riding standard shortboards for a few years. When I say standard I mean PU 4x4+4.

Looking for something stronger. Way too many snapped boards and lost fin plugs. I may go back to EPS/compsand but right now I am considering stronger PU - still need to speak to the shaper though.

I'm a lightweight at 67kg but hammer my boards with punting and shorebreak. Board might be a Vader copy 5'0 x 17 x 2 or standard shorty 5'7 x 18 x 2

What has worked for people and what was too heavy? I had an original PU Drifter which was 6x6+6 I think, and that felt about right. I am wary of ordering a new board and breaking it, but I don't want it too heavy/rigid either.

Cheers!

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
25 Aug 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Can of worms that one.

You're in WA so best to talk to Marty Littlewood, he kites, shapes, and produces strong boards. Not sure but think his kiteboards are still PE glassed.

Recent discussion on Swellnet about glassing of slaters boards could also be informative and if you want detailed and knowledgable opinions you will find heaps of info on Swaylocks forum.

but in the end strength = compsand epoxy.

fin boxes and how they are set into the board will also get a wide range of opinions, but again Marty Littlewood seems to have got that problem sorted.

ok
NSW, 1087 posts
25 Aug 2016 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Try get a super strong foam blank!

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
25 Aug 2016 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Had the same problem as you a few years back, snapped around 3 standard shortboards in a season, I weigh around 75kgs.

Went to an epoxy board but don't really like the rigidity, so started looking for good PU boards

Have now had 2 boards made by Mark Stone in Gero, both are really solid, yet still give flex.

From memory they have 6oz top deck and stiffening in the foot areas. He also uses carbon rails which helps the strength.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
25 Aug 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Seems there are a few PU boards out there that have 'spider web' carbon across the bottom , I saw a few at the Merimbula classic last year - carbon threads under tension are very strong but I guess it might also affect the flex?

When someone cracks the 'rides like a surfboard' and lasts 'like a twin tip' they will have the market cornered!!

I hear that the denser the foam the stronger the board, but how strong can foam be? and obviously dense foam is heavier :-(

I do have an Axis free wave (and underground Kipuna that I have partially snapped twice!) and it is much stronger than a PU board and has flex, but doesn't have the volume of a true surfboard (bogs down on a wave in low wind conditions - but I'm 95 kg) and is relatively heavy.

So I cant answer your question either - but I wish I was your weight!! Less glass the nicer the ride - the more glass the stronger the board ! and that's relative to the rider weight!! The use of carbon spider web is something I'm watching closely :-)

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
25 Aug 2016 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Its only my opinion but up until recently I was always after lightness but recently I have spoke to a few guy's who believe a bit extra weight is a good thing, especially in solid waves. Therefore I personally would be going a tad thinner for flex but glassed solid giving you the strength and weight.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
25 Aug 2016 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

We have been using light weight PU blanks with 6oz bottom and two 6oz top The 6oz has 6oz Carbon strings woven in to mesh also the new blanks will have island stringer 6 ply to help with strength and use Epoxy to laminate But we are always listening to feed back and trying new stuff Weight aprox2.1 to 2.3klg

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
25 Aug 2016 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said...
I personally would be going a tad thinner for flex but glassed solid giving you the strength and weight.

I like this idea!

Standard 4*4+4 is too light when 25 knots. Board just wants to fly off!

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
25 Aug 2016 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vendeavours said...
We have been using light weight PU blanks with 6oz bottom and two 6oz top and use Epoxy to laminate

Why is it there aren't more PU blank + Epoxy resin options out there? I have read about delam issues in the heat. Apart from that it seems like a winning combo.

Plummet
4862 posts
26 Aug 2016 2:29AM
Thumbs Up

Biggie a local shaper makes some strong boards which many of the locals ride. Some dudes are 100kg ish and we get some hell conditions and those guys push hard on the boards.

Not sure if he exports to aus. But its worth a shot.

www.siroccosurf.co.nz/

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
26 Aug 2016 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

6x6+6 works for me.

Mark _australia
WA, 22090 posts
26 Aug 2016 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Nobody seems to do a stringer change
2mm PVC with carbon each side ?

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
26 Aug 2016 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
Nobody seems to do a stringer change
2mm PVC with carbon each side ?

Denser blank and thicker stringer?

delta designs
WA, 12 posts
26 Aug 2016 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

My 2 bobs worth .......eps core..great for sailboards and light weight, hopeless for kiteboards. Dont need the light weight(its only advantage) and it loves a drink, much like myself !! Carbon fibre... great for sailboards and stiffness, hopeless for kiteboards. Been there done that.
If you want it to feel like a surfboard, ie flex through turns then make it like a surfboard. That means surfboard PU blank, 1/8" stringer ...not the lightweight blanks as they are too soft. My decks are 4oz under the "bambam" with diagonal reinforcing (12ozs laminated in epoxy resin) under the foot areas and the choice of 6 or 4 oz on the outside layer. Bottom layup is 6 +4oz standard but i've dropped a 4oz for punters liking a lighter board for strapless occasionally...6oz on outer deck can be 4oz as well if thats your fancy. Personally, i like the standard layup as it gives the board some momentum and stops the flap flap when its cranking. ...so does my team.
I use Futures Fin Systems exclusively, as i'm able to glass under them to stop the dropping or rolling that can and does happen if you dont reinforce it.
I also use kiteboard rocker rather than surfboard rocker lines as they dont handle the speed as well ... ok when you go slow but why would you want to when you have all that power at your disposal.
i havent seen a better deck material than bambamboo...its tough !! and it has the most authentic flex and rebound ..... that "surfboard feel"
anything better....i'm all ears

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
26 Aug 2016 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

My 2c is:
- too heavy sucks on a kiteboard
- light or medium weight okay
- kite boards and bamboo laminate give strength and flex
- I like my light to medium weight smaller board with bamboo laminate technology
- shape is nearly everything else otherwise IMO

Daz

Livit
WA, 542 posts
26 Aug 2016 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
delta designs said..
My 2 bobs worth .......eps core..great for sailboards and light weight, hopeless for kiteboards. Dont need the light weight(its only advantage) and it loves a drink, much like myself !! Carbon fibre... great for sailboards and stiffness, hopeless for kiteboards. Been there done that.
If you want it to feel like a surfboard, ie flex through turns then make it like a surfboard. That means surfboard PU blank, 1/8" stringer ...not the lightweight blanks as they are too soft. My decks are 4oz under the "bambam" with diagonal reinforcing (12ozs laminated in epoxy resin) under the foot areas and the choice of 6 or 4 oz on the outside layer. Bottom layup is 6 +4oz standard but i've dropped a 4oz for punters liking a lighter board for strapless occasionally...6oz on outer deck can be 4oz as well if thats your fancy. Personally, i like the standard layup as it gives the board some momentum and stops the flap flap when its cranking. ...so does my team.
I use Futures Fin Systems exclusively, as i'm able to glass under them to stop the dropping or rolling that can and does happen if you dont reinforce it.
I also use kiteboard rocker rather than surfboard rocker lines as they dont handle the speed as well ... ok when you go slow but why would you want to when you have all that power at your disposal.
i havent seen a better deck material than bambamboo...its tough !! and it has the most authentic flex and rebound ..... that "surfboard feel"
anything better....i'm all ears

At least EPS is 100% recyclable as opposed to the highly toxic nature of PU blanks. PU has potential hazards to individuals working with these materials, possible contamination to the environment and they're a non-renewable product. It is actually the reasons why Clark foam closed their doors back 2005....

Many shapers are now innovating using recycled EPS core, parabolic balsa rails, cork or even flax fiber and they have nothing to envy to the ol' PU construction.

Just to name one, Notox seems to meet a great success in Europe with there EPS/flax composite construction.

Also, given the success of Firewire, Sunova or Stretch, qualifying EPS of being "hopeless for kiteboard" sounds a bit exaggerated.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
26 Aug 2016 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

^ maybe but EPS water intake is a real bummer

delta designs
WA, 12 posts
27 Aug 2016 12:51AM
Thumbs Up

like the man says....eps sux. The board is a pressure vessel with low pressure inside. Any crack and water is literally sucked in.
Agree with 100%recycleable ..... never seen it get recycled however, rather difficult to seperate from the glass, carbon, kevlar
inegra, pvc etc used to give it some strength. Sounds warm and fuzzy but sadly...irrelevant
The trouble with all the unrecycleable bits is they make it a stiffy.
Every year there is a "new" and better way to make eps boards but they just dont feel right.
Its that goldarn flex thang, you only notice it when its not there.
Ive made lots of cutting edge sailboards in the late 90's, early2000s, using eps core and vacuum layup of all the composites so i'm very familiar
with the pros and cons of this stuff. If i thought it was better i could and would be using it.
The majority of big brand production boards are made in sweatshops with the cheapest foam they can get. eps is cheap as chips
Every year they put a new dress on and trot out the new girl .....but you cant make a silk purse from a pigs ear
Most pro surfers still ride the ol' PU construction, i wonder why that is .....could it be PERFORMANCE i wonder, or am i still exaggerating.
An eps cored board will still end up at the tip, just a lot quicker than the tired ol'PU

airsail
QLD, 1241 posts
27 Aug 2016 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

I find PU boards are just nicer to ride, production eps pop out fell like riding a cork, too floaty for their size and little flex, but the downside to light weight PU is breakage. I like my lighter wind boards as light as possible, the lighter they are the less wind is needed to stick them to your feet, when the winds up a heavier board is fine.
i have had good success using 4x4+6 but using Kevlar rails,works like an egg shell.
shell, The wrap around the rails is extremely strong. The Kevlar still maintains a nice flex but is almost unbreakable. Yes, lots of heal dent etc but I haven't broken a board yet. They are easy to glass but difficult to get a good finish on as you have to be carefull during sanding and if you want a really smooth finish you need to have a fairly thick filler coat. As I only do my own board I live with a little imperfection to save weight.
i have yet to find straight Kevlar tape, the one I use from Shapers has some carbon running through it, I know it is available as I have used it years ago to repair creased sailboards.

TomW059
183 posts
27 Aug 2016 5:30AM
Thumbs Up

I'm building shapes that are down to 10mm thick in spots. Concaves build in stiffness, so shape matters.
My lamination is from bottom:
4+6+4, PU foam, 6( foot patch)+6+4.
Some i add 1,5 mm Abachi veneer to deck which adds 300g.
PU foam and epoxy.
3,5 kg including full pad and fins.
These Boards will last a lifetime.
If you are concerned about environmental impact, then you should buy a board and use it 20 years. End of story. Recycling, renewable is BS compared to time of use. ( I work with sustainability issues in my day job).

Jedibrad
NSW, 526 posts
27 Aug 2016 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Ya'll doing your best to confuse others and yourselves

So i'll help....

You need three boards, having one is a false economy, that is you think your saving money but your not over the long term.

1) A bit more area and bit flatter than the next one, this will be nice to punt on, so if you get it light you'll snap it, but light weight stay on your feet better in the air, life is cruel sometimes

2) For clean, up too over head waves little bit smaller and continuous rocker feels unreal for this board, weight wise?? between boards 1 and 2

3) Narrower, lower rails and as much weight as you can handle, straps. Mine is just a standard tow surfing board

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
27 Aug 2016 1:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jedibrad said..
Ya'll doing your best to confuse others and yourselves

So i'll help....

You need three boards, having one is a false economy, that is you think your saving money but your not over the long term.

1) A bit more area and bit flatter than the next one, this will be nice to punt on, so if you get it light you'll snap it, but light weight stay on your feet better in the air, life is cruel sometimes

2) For clean, up too over head waves little bit smaller and continuous rocker feels unreal for this board, weight wise?? between boards 1 and 2

3) Narrower, lower rails and as much weight as you can handle, straps. Mine is just a standard tow surfing board

I'm riding that Smook board in everything from light mush to double overhead. If you keep the volume down you can do anything on one board.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
27 Aug 2016 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

We used eps blanks for number of years Bagged / bamboo and epoxy and 1.8 2klg brds But as above they drink very fast which can course delamintion and more problems The PU blanks have more options and also can give me light blanks if required I use 5'6" x18 which I use in all conditions from 2'to 8ft and 18knt and 40knts 78klg rider( Brd 23klg)

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
30 Aug 2016 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

I am going to investigate PU blank laminated in epoxy. Maybe reduce the thickness below 2 inches. Still not sure about glass lay-up but 6x6+6 as a minimum.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
30 Aug 2016 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

This thread says it all: everyone is after something different in a board...
Some people are heavy, some light.
Some ride powered with straps, some don't.
Some seeking performance, others longevity.

Find out what you want and choose your board from that.

I love it how everyone hates EPS boards... I would love to know who is basing their opinion on those old moulded Tuflite's of the early 2000's and the kiting epoxy pop-outs from the big brands. Everyone, do yourself a favour and update your dated opinions by trying an EPS board from a decent shaper.

My board of choice, (not corky or stiff ) :

Ps. I'm not a PU hater, I have both.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
30 Aug 2016 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

EPS = good

Water intake = bad bad bad

mazdon
1196 posts
30 Aug 2016 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

that video made me want to go surfing so badly haha
not magazine quality waves but just looked so fun. nice looking board for onshore grovel kiting for sure.

TomW059
183 posts
2 Sep 2016 4:13AM
Thumbs Up

I'm using pu because it's what I can get. I'd use eps if I could get it.
XTR looks like it's making great boards by a range of shapers in eps / epoxy.

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
2 Sep 2016 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

I surf EPS. Its great coz its light and flexy. Great to generate speed.

Id never kite EPS. I dont need to generate speed. I need strength and rail. The EPS is way too spongy. EPS foam is way too soft, hence why it is so light, which is fine for surfing, bad for kiting.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
2 Sep 2016 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TomW059 said..
I'm using pu because it's what I can get. I'd use eps if I could get it.
XTR looks like it's making great boards by a range of shapers in eps / epoxy.

XPS (extruded foam) sounds great in theory, however I saw one shaper on Swaylocks describe it as like trying to glass over wax. I believe XTR have had their fair share of delam issues...

oldmic
NSW, 343 posts
2 Sep 2016 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

hey ben,
Got a new board made with S Glass (m8 ordered in from usa) cant remember weight, solar resin and a pu blank.
34 ltrs not to kite just to paddle.
surfed it now for a few months no deck compression's.
agree liked the drifter strength bit extra weight no probs.
got a really light (production) airush compact which is high tech with carbon I beam etc. taken an absolute pounding. but no sb feel.
S glass should be a consideration.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Surfboard Glassing Weight vs Strength" started by bene313