Forums > Kitesurfing General

Self-rescue experiment: methods comparison

Created by KiteBud > 9 months ago, 25 Feb 2013
pigfarmer
QLD, 19 posts
2 Mar 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

MadMonty said...
One thing not mentioned is the importance of understanding the kite and how it will behave. This is key to both methods discussed.
Cbulota emphasised pulling up the line, not swimming toward the kite, and vwpete the importance of wrapping the flagging line first.

I missed this wrapping of the flag out line(s) first - wont you still have two 20m lines dangling around? Would that be not almost just as dangerous as having 4 lines loose?

diginoz
WA, 317 posts
2 Mar 2013 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

Did a self rescue winding the lines in 25kts SW at pinnas 2 years ago when the kite powered up while holding the bar and snapped in half folding over my right hand crushingf my second index finger as it rolled over with the tip of the bar causing me to get two s/steel pins inserted.
Bandit 1 owned from new, bar had coroded under the rubber grip.
Still not sure what went wrong as I was or thought I was following the guideline rules.

diginoz
WA, 317 posts
2 Mar 2013 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

If you carry a knife in your harness you also need to access it as quick as your QR, WHERN DID YOU LAST CHECK YOUR BLADES ACCESS, CORROSION, SHARPNESS.

arloj
WA, 237 posts
2 Mar 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

diginoz said...
Hi all

Did a self rescue winding the lines in 25kts SW at pinnas 2 years ago when the kite powered up while holding the bar and snapped in half folding over my right hand crushingf my second index finger as it rolled over with the tip of the bar causing me to get two s/steel pins inserted.
Bandit 1 owned from new, bar had coroded under the rubber grip.
Still not sure what went wrong as I was or thought I was following the guideline rules.

did you wrap/secure the flagged line before wrapping all the lines? if you dont then all your doing is just shortening your lines with a powered kite in the water.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
12 May 2013 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

I've never been taught self-rescue, but have watched videos and thought about it :D

Had to self-rescue three times now... on our lake.

Twice with a Speed3 21 when the wind just DIED completely. In the same week too - and the kite went in the water at the same spot... which was, naturally, as far from shore as possible

I wrapped the lines (without bothering about shortening the front-line safety) but only to about half way up the lines. Swam in, towing the kite.

Next time I rescued myself, both lines on the RHS snapped (steering at the bar, center line at the kite) in high winds on my Speed3 15 - same spot the 21 went down :lol: wrapped up best I could, all the way to the kite then just drifted in. Had to swim sideways to avoid a rock wall/river mouth drain thing but managed to get what line remained in the water wrapped around a buoy

The only time I've ever actually needed a hook-knife was when I dropped the kite onto the water and the center lines got wrapped under a buoy was just a sand bag it was anchored too, so the kite had picked up the whole thing and I was bobbing off to the left. I reached down for my hook-knife (Dakine one, in the spreader bar pad) but it wasn't there... seems like a slam or six had ripped the pocket and it had fallen out

Put the kite on the water, hand-over-hand to the V then unhooked the buoy. Only took a few minutes but... my board drifted away and I lost it :(

With all the crap in the water here (buoys, rocks, trees, roots, walls etc) unless you're right off the beach, I think wrap up is compulsory. When others have "self-rescued" on the beach here, they've just let the kite and themselves float in to the beach...

Oh I remember now - I had a CL break a couple of years back on a Bandit - I could stand up though so I wrapped up the safeties and lines only to keep the kite off the crap on the shore.

And I lost my Psycho4 19 too - but the 5th line snapped and the WHOLE kite flew over the beach, over the trees, over the road, over the YMCA camp ground and into the paddy fields 300m downwind

buddy101
WA, 23 posts
17 Feb 2014 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Damn I should have read this post before heading out in the water yesterday :P

Great experiment and good out comes to discuss

Read my post

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Hats-off-to-the-Melville-Kiting-community/

Now the question is and i know this is something which does not happen to every one ALOT..what to do when your BAR actually breaks in two.

mine did yesterday....I have been taught the roll your lines on the bar technique...what to do when you actually don't have a bar to roll the lines on to ...I tried to roll the line on the one half of the bar but it was taking to long and i was going no where ....so pulled my self in on the leading line...I think i should have pulled my self into the kite with out worrying about the rolling up ..

something to ponder for the people out there.. What to Do when you bar breaks ...

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
17 Feb 2014 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

grab the flagging line and pull toward your kite. Keep the lines down wind of you. Hold the line with a good grip. You can also wrap the flagging line only on the half bar, it will give you something to hang on to if the kite starts bouncing around. if there is tension only on the flagging line the kite should be easy enough to control.

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
17 Feb 2014 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

I had my kite invert on me yesterday and wrap a line around a strut, if I was to try relaunch it would have destroyed the kite. Instead I pulled my release and pulled the kite to me, once in my hands I unwrapped the line and let the kite drift away again. I quickly hooked in and watched to make sure lines didn't get tangled. Happy days!

antlanglands
WA, 69 posts
11 Nov 2014 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

I've run quite a few free safety packdown clinics thru our local club here in the UK.
We always run these in deepwater with a safety boat and always on +25mph days.
I would say on average 95% of people end up having a very hard time and end up in a total mess on their first few run thrus , lines wrap around them , kites powering up and causing them to loose the bar ... allsorts.
Its a real eye opener.
Tbh i would never teach someone in the kiteschool to use the retrieve the kite down one line method , as if i did i would be acting outside the guidelines of BrithishKitesports and would be opening the school up to be liable.
However as highlighted its all about knowing your equipment the procedures available and your capabilities.
And using that knowledge to make a calm decision about the best way to deal with the situation.
So many people have never done a packdown/self rescue , understandably... I mean who want to spend a hr or so floating around spitting out seawater when you could be kiting.
On a side note ,Im surprised at alot of comment on here from guys who have been kiting along time that have only ever had to self rescue once or twice.
I couldnt begin to count the amount of times ive had to packdown in anger , everything from line wrapped around my legs by the current in a river mouth when the kite went down and wouldnt relaunch due to the current , to wind disappearing 2 miles out to sea , to being dragged backwards thru the break and shorey and up the beach by a deathlooping kite.
One time got hit by a wind direction change and gust , while walking out to the local lagoon at lowtide , that knocked me over as the kite dropped out the window and hotlaunch i landed with my hand over the top of the centreline .
A steeringline got caught on the wingtip ( was a EH Ripper they where horrible for that ) and the kite started to deathloop , i couldnt eject because as the kite powered up the centerline wrapped around my thump above the bar and i was being dragged upside down toward the water in what was now a cross off , if it wasnt for a dude walking back in who jumped on my kite it would have dragged me till a line snapped or my thump came off. Lol but that was a freak thing and not really on topic soz i digress.
Anyhow good thread .. I know quite afew of the local kiteclubs and shops here in the UK are running safety clinics now , bit surprised that with the beach culture back home this isnt happen over there too ?

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
11 Nov 2014 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
antlanglands said..
I've run quite a few free safety packdown clinics thru our local club here in the UK.
We always run these in deepwater with a safety boat and always on +25mph days.
I would say on average 95% of people end up having a very hard time and end up in a total mess on their first few run thrus , lines wrap around them , kites powering up and causing them to loose the bar ... allsorts.
Its a real eye opener.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's great to see other instructors taking the time and effort to do practical deep water self-rescues with their students rather than thinking a simple demonstration on the beach or shallow water is enough to tick the boxes.

Those numbers don't surprise me at all and are exactly our biggest concern. Why bother to teach something that you know only 5% of your students will be able to achieve? I understand you ''have to'' because of liability but at the end of the day, it doesn't make much sense and is not helping the kiters build confidence in their ability to get out of trouble autonomously.

Self-rescue should be an easy task achievable by anyone in their first or second lesson, even in deep water, even in winds above 20 knots. The reality is our sport is more accessible than ever to people of various ages and fitness levels. Deep water rescues by wrapping lines demand a good deal of fitness, strength and confidence in deep water, which is unfortunately not the case for many students.

As you said, many experienced kiters have never done deep water rescues in strong winds, yet they still speculate on which method is best and the possible outcomes...

I stopped counting the amount of times when I've witnessed kiters struggling to self-rescue by wrapping lines and get rescued by others or end up drifting 1-2KM to the next beach.

Self-rescue is a vital skill to build confidence in any kiter. Students are always stoked when they come out of the water from a successful rescue knowing they can get out of trouble without anyone's help.

Every week we get a couple of students from other schools who come to us simply to build confidence in deep water and learn self-rescue, for the FIRST time. It seems the new trend is not to teach self-rescue at all, even from IKO qualified instructors or IKO schools...

We take the time to explain both methods (wrapping lines vs not wrapping lines) and go through pros and cons. In our opinion and experience, wrapping the lines should be reserved for rarer scenarios such as: kite deflation, off-shore winds, very low or no wind, or self-rescuing through large waves.

With experience and careful instructions we manage to have a 100% success rate in first time deep water rescues without wrapping lines, and in almost all cases lines are untangled in within 2 minutes, ready to go again. The whole process to teach self-rescue from start to finish of the practical rescue is always done under 30 minutes. I can't remember the last time we took out the rescue boat to rescue one of our students...

Christian

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
12 Nov 2014 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

its good to see this tread is still going . Now my son is up and riding has made me think dose he know how to do it and might have to do a rescue pack down pratice next time we are out . happy winds

Gorgo
VIC, 4918 posts
12 Nov 2014 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

The fundamental assumption of the original poster, and most of the contributions, is that there is a right way and a wrong way to self rescue. This is wrong.

In reality there are a range of ways to self rescue and you need to pick the most appropriate method depending on the circumstances. It's all about using your brain to plan out a course of action to save yourself no matter what is happening.

In strong winds it would be very unusual to either wind up the lines, or swim to the kite. It is generally safer and easier to manipulate the remaining lines to steer the downed kite towards the beach and get towed in. That keeps the lines straight and reduces the risk of tangling and is a lot less effort.

If you do need to wind up the lines then the technique is to streamline your body to reduce drag on the lines and stop the kite from bouncing around. If it's too hard to wind the lines end over end then simply turning the bar round and round will work.

Remember you're in a survival situation. It doesn't matter how easy it is to relaunch after. Your only priority is to save your life ... and just maybe, save your gear.

In extreme situations the best thing is to simply release your gear.

In lighter winds with a bit of distance to cover you would wind your lines then set up to sail the canopy in. I like to put a turn of the lines around the harness hook to support the tip. You can use a TT as a makeshift rudder. A surfboard or raceboard can be used as an outrigger with the fins as the rudder. In the right conditions you can sail upwind in this configuration.

For short distances you can simply swim in and tow the depowered kite at the end of the lines.

If you have to you can wrap the lines and tow the kite by the pump leash, or lie in the kite and dog paddle over the LE.

Note that all these techniques work for inflatable and foil kites.

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
12 Nov 2014 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said..
The fundamental assumption of the original poster, and most of the contributions, is that there is a right way and a wrong way to self rescue. This is wrong.

In reality there are a range of ways to self rescue and you need to pick the most appropriate method depending on the circumstances. It's all about using your brain to plan out a course of action to save yourself no matter what is happening.

In strong winds it would be very unusual to either wind up the lines, or swim to the kite. It is generally safer and easier to manipulate the remaining lines to steer the downed kite towards the beach and get towed in. That keeps the lines straight and reduces the risk of tangling and is a lot less effort.

If you do need to wind up the lines then the technique is to streamline your body to reduce drag on the lines and stop the kite from bouncing around. If it's too hard to wind the lines end over end then simply turning the bar round and round will work.

Remember you're in a survival situation. It doesn't matter how easy it is to relaunch after. Your only priority is to save your life ... and just maybe, save your gear.

In extreme situations the best thing is to simply release your gear.

In lighter winds with a bit of distance to cover you would wind your lines then set up to sail the canopy in. I like to put a turn of the lines around the harness hook to support the tip. You can use a TT as a makeshift rudder. A surfboard or raceboard can be used as an outrigger with the fins as the rudder. In the right conditions you can sail upwind in this configuration.

For short distances you can simply swim in and tow the depowered kite at the end of the lines.

If you have to you can wrap the lines and tow the kite by the pump leash, or lie in the kite and dog paddle over the LE.

Note that all these techniques work for inflatable and foil kites.

Totally agree, it's a brave kiter who decides to try and sail his downed kite in through the break I reckon. In the past if I've lost it to the point of thinking of self rescue it's been unhook, one hand on the second safety, jump on the board and get dragged in. If I feel like it's going to be too much for the kite I'll let it go and paddle in to shore. If there is a raging current and I can't get to the board then bugger the kite, streamline my body as Gorgo says and take the risk, it's bringing me in regardless.

Sure, flat day or just a bit of wind chop I'd go up the lines to the kite and do the self rescue thing.

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
14 Nov 2014 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said..

By now it's easy to see that when I post about safety I primarily target entry level kiters with little to no experience in how to get themselves out of trouble. You have to understand that the techniques used by advanced kiters with lots of experience getting out of trouble with will fundamentally differ from other less experienced kiters getting in trouble for the first few times.

In other words the way I get myself out of trouble most times (for example: un-inverting my kite and untangling crossed lines in the water) is definitely NOT the way I would teach it to my students!

When you teach new students you have to make choices because you simply can't teach EVERYTHING, especially with regards to safety systems and practical rescue scenarios. It would simply put people off from enjoying the sport and would make lessons long-winded and too costly. Just imagine if I read your post to my first timer students and started to train them for every scenario. It would make things more confusing than anything else.

The IKO (along with other instructor associations) has decided a long time ago to make wrapping lines the only method to teach. We've decided to go another way for the reasons lengthily discussed in my previous posts, even though we mention that wrapping lines is a preferable method in certain rarer scenarios. In case there is still confusion, we never teach to SWIM towards the kite, and I don't know why this is still being brought back...

So in reality for experienced kiters, you are correct, it's all about choices and taking the best decision given the circumstances; no one can argue with that. There is often no right or wrong, only consequences.

Your tips are great although the issue is you are making the fundamental assumption that any kiters getting in trouble are able to ''use their brain'' meaning they can keep calm and use conscious parts of their brain to make conscious decisions. Any instructor worth its salt knows that in a problematic scenario, panic often sets in and inexperienced kiters are unable think clearly and end up making unconscious decisions. This often leads to poor decision making and failed or strenuous self-rescue attempts.

The only way to reverse this mechanism is to train students to repeat the same maneuvers over and over again, which will eventually allow them to think clearly and make conscious decisions. Where the majority of instructors fail is assuming that verbal explanations and demonstrations are enough to get students to master a certain technique without practice in real conditions. Where instructors also fail is by overloading students with information which eventually makes things too complicated and unrealistic to put in practice.

The main goal of my experiment was simply to demonstrate that in strong winds and deep water, wrapping lines is a complex and difficult task that is unlikely to be achieved successfully by most in similar conditions... Since a majority of kiters have been shown to wrap their lines to get out of trouble without any practical experience, this explains why most fail in similar conditions. Regardless of whether we agree or disagree amongst each other about this topic, I believe this thread at least puts things in perspective and helps kiters reflect on practical self-rescue methods.

Christian

Ericson
WA, 111 posts
25 Feb 2015 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome post and ensuing discussion. I really appreciate your videos, Christian.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
25 Feb 2015 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

A mate and my self self rescued at the same time light winds off shore. I rolled up my line's and my mate did not. We had to swim home. I was fine but my mate had so much line around his ankle i could not believe it did not fall off (purple). I then had to cut him free with my knife so we could make it home. After that if i can roll up i will.

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
25 Feb 2015 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunatly I can say that Im quite experianced at floating in the ocean with a disabled kite after spending quite some time in the ocean and a mega swim in after snapping one of the power lines on my 5m kite in strong cross offshore winds I can say

that is does not matter if you roll up your lines or not

Check out the story "Lost at sea"in the general forum

I could of let the leading edge down and floated on the 3 small struts of the 5m kite but would of just kept going out, I could not of paddled against the wind

I rolled up my lines and tried holding the wingtips and steering back to shore

And I tried flipping the kite on its back and laying on it and lifting up one wingtip to use as a sail

but no matter what I did I was heading to Sri Lanka or Madagasgar

Best thing I could of done is released the kite as soon as it happened

I still would of had a longish swim but not a f%#^%$# marathon kitemare

Onshore wind would be a different story

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
25 Feb 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gokid said..
Unfortunatly I can say that Im quite experianced at floating in the ocean with a disabled kite after spending quite some time in the ocean and a mega swim in after snapping one of the power lines on my 5m kite in strong cross offshore winds I can say

I could of let the leading edge down and floated on the 3 small struts of the 5m kite but would of just kept going out, I could not of paddled against the wind

And I tried flipping the kite on its back and laying on it and lifting up one wingtip to use as a sail

You have more balls then me going out that fare on a offshore wind in strong conditions to start with. Asking for trouble!

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
25 Feb 2015 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
skywalker3d said..

gokid said..

You have more balls then me going out that fare on a offshore wind in strong conditions to start with. Asking for trouble!

I wasn't that far out when the line snapped,I was'nt out any further than the other 3 kiteboarders were going before they turned back towards the waves,

I was dragged out by my kite whislt I was trying to self rescue

I was consentating on getting to my kite and not realizing I was quite quickly heading out to sea

diginoz
WA, 317 posts
25 Feb 2015 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
skywalker3d said..

gokid said..

Note to beginners here DONT GO OUT IN OFFSHORE WIND CONDITIONS

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
26 Feb 2015 1:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diginoz said..

skywalker3d said..

gokid said..

Fair enought call,an advanced kiter would probably be in The Pond doing handle passes and flips or would not have gone out because the wind was cross offshore ,and if he

had off and his kite was disabled he would of packed down and swam in with the kite and lines wrapped around him fending off the sharks with his bare hands
Just when you think you are becoming a better kiter mother nature will humble you you and let you know that you are just a little speck of dust on the ocean

Full repect for the ocean and mother nature is a good thing to understand

Plummet
4862 posts
26 Feb 2015 5:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gokid said..

skywalker3d said..

gokid said..

I wasn't that far out when the line snapped,I was'nt out any further than the other 3 kiteboarders were going before they turned back towards the waves,

I was dragged out by my kite whislt I was trying to self rescue

I was consentating on getting to my kite and not realizing I was quite quickly heading out to sea

There is a big difference between offshore and cross off.

Off shore is stupid and shouldn't be done without boat support.

Cross off, or even better cross cross off is doable by experienced kiters. You can still body drag back to shore if the board is lost. However you need to be prepared to ditch the kite if it goes down and you can't relaunch it.

Cross cross off gives the be best wind angle for riding waves.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
26 Feb 2015 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gokid said..

diginoz said..

skywalker3d said..

gokid said..

Fair enought call,an advanced kiter would probably be in The Pond doing handle passes and flips or would not have gone out because the wind was cross offshore ,and if he

had off and his kite was disabled he would of packed down and swam in with the kite and lines wrapped around him fending off the sharks with his bare hands
Just when you think you are becoming a better kiter mother nature will humble you you and let you know that you are just a little speck of dust on the ocean

Full repect for the ocean and mother nature is a good thing to understand

Rodger that....

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
26 Feb 2015 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..
I've never been taught self-rescue, but have watched videos and thought about it :D

Had to self-rescue three times now... on our lake.

Twice with a Speed3 21 when the wind just DIED completely. In the same week too - and the kite went in the water at the same spot... which was, naturally, as far from shore as possible

I wrapped the lines (without bothering about shortening the front-line safety) but only to about half way up the lines. Swam in, towing the kite.

Next time I rescued myself, both lines on the RHS snapped (steering at the bar, center line at the kite) in high winds on my Speed3 15 - same spot the 21 went down :lol: wrapped up best I could, all the way to the kite then just drifted in. Had to swim sideways to avoid a rock wall/river mouth drain thing but managed to get what line remained in the water wrapped around a buoy

The only time I've ever actually needed a hook-knife was when I dropped the kite onto the water and the center lines got wrapped under a buoy was just a sand bag it was anchored too, so the kite had picked up the whole thing and I was bobbing off to the left. I reached down for my hook-knife (Dakine one, in the spreader bar pad) but it wasn't there... seems like a slam or six had ripped the pocket and it had fallen out

Put the kite on the water, hand-over-hand to the V then unhooked the buoy. Only took a few minutes but... my board drifted away and I lost it :(

With all the crap in the water here (buoys, rocks, trees, roots, walls etc) unless you're right off the beach, I think wrap up is compulsory. When others have "self-rescued" on the beach here, they've just let the kite and themselves float in to the beach...

Oh I remember now - I had a CL break a couple of years back on a Bandit - I could stand up though so I wrapped up the safeties and lines only to keep the kite off the crap on the shore.

And I lost my Psycho4 19 too - but the 5th line snapped and the WHOLE kite flew over the beach, over the trees, over the road, over the YMCA camp ground and into the paddy fields 300m downwind

Kami, can I know where you live so I can pick up your kites and boards that you seem to be losing all over the place?

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
26 Feb 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diginoz said...
If you carry a knife in your harness you also need to access it as quick as your QR, WHERN DID YOU LAST CHECK YOUR BLADES ACCESS, CORROSION, SHARPNESS.

F ones had a recall on their bars as they were rusting out and snapping

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Self-rescue experiment: methods comparison" started by KiteBud