Forums > Kitesurfing General

Ozone Contact Bar for 2014 12mtr Catalyst

Created by Shaggus > 9 months ago, 16 Oct 2016
Shaggus
VIC, 4 posts
16 Oct 2016 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks; looking for guidance here.
I am using a 50cm bar on a 2014 - 12mtr Catalyst and struggling to be honest: feels like the kite is going over my head all the time?

I am currently using the same Bar on a 2013 12mtr C4 - and it works a treat.

I was talking to a guy yesterday and he informed me I should be using a 55cm Bar on the Cat 12; is this correct?

Can I use the 55cm Bar on the Cat 9 as well or use the 50cm?

My style is not too aggressive; I just like doing a few wave hops (little air)some fun on small waves (at this stage on a TT - looking to go possible the Nugget later)!!

I suppose line length also has an impact: if you could provide a basic guidance, that would be appreciated.

Thanks, Shaggus

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
16 Oct 2016 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Bigger bar just means it will turn faster and I don't think you'll notice the difference between a 50cm bar and a 55cm bar. I got a 38cm bar and have used it on my 9m Ozone Reo and I could tell there was a different from my normal 45cm or 50cm bar.

I'd just stuck with the 50cm bar, the bigger bar may make your 12m turn faster but I highly doubt it will be noticeable.

I've been using a 45cm or 50cm (can't remember what mine is) with my 12m Reo since I got it and it flys fine.

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
16 Oct 2016 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Shaggus,

feels like the kite is going over my head all the time?

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, are you saying the kite goes to 12'Oclock or that the kite tends to fly behind you (front-stalling ?)

I am currently using the same Bar on a 2013 12mtr C4 - and it works a treat.

That would be an indication that there is no issue from the bar/lines themselves and that if there is a problem when flying with the 12m, that there might be issues with the kite itself.

I was talking to a guy yesterday and he informed me I should be using a 55cm Bar on the Cat 12; is this correct?

A lot of kite manufacturers don't even bother making different bar sizes anymore for 2 reasons: 1) most modern kites turn fast enough even in the larger sizes so a larger bar is no longer necessary and 2) it saves them production cost. Also, a lot of bars are now adjustable from a wide setting to a narrow setting, changing the width by about 6cm.

You will definitely gain some turning speed on your 12m going from a 50cm to a 55cm bar, but it's only worth it if you're always moving your kite aggressively (i.e. flying in low winds, looping or wave riding). For just normal cruising around powered up on a TT and jumping it won't make much difference.

Can I use the 55cm Bar on the Cat 9 as well or use the 50cm?

To my knowledge most standard modern bars have a default length between 50 and 55cm, so yes you can use a 55cm bar on a 9m kite, it's just gonna turn fast. Again you need to ask yourself if you will benefit from having a faster-turning kite? However, if you used a 55cm bar on a 6m kite for example, that might be a bit of an overkill.

Unless you are flying massive kites (i.e. 17-19m) or very small kites (5-7m) you don't need to worry about bar sizes. Also, many wakestyle kiters prefer small bars so the kite doesn't move so much.

I suppose line length also has an impact

Yes it has, shorter lines have a more direct feel and makes the kite respond quicker and vice-versa for longer lines. If you ever get a chance, try different lengths and see for yourself.

Thanks, Shaggus

No worries, Christian

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
16 Oct 2016 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

55cm bar was for the Zephyr, and I think from 14m up. Not 100% sure on that last bit though.

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
16 Oct 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Over your head when you jump Yu mean? Standing on beach does it fly back over your head? Is that what you mean? That's got nothing to do with bar size. Shorten your back lines.

Shaggus
VIC, 4 posts
16 Oct 2016 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome; thanks Folks some great feedback here!!

FLying over head; meaning it seems to sit really high in the window. Feels like I am constantly under the kite even when powered up:

Sounds like the Bar is fine for my use (thanks to all) and will try as suggested and shorten the back lines.

Thanks again to all, Shaggus.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
16 Oct 2016 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

ive flown a few kites that require constant adjustment, not your park and ride kites like the edges , switchblades , rebels, these higher profile kites tend to sit a bit lower when flown, the cats act a bit more like a c kite in the way they fly, my flexifoils act the same and seem to always fly overhead if allowed at the bar, centrally locating your bar hand can allow for this, i always tend to fly one handed on upwind tacks especially, being agressive on your edge can transfer into your kite , check line lengths and bridals and adjust at pigtails or bar under floats,

horace01
VIC, 31 posts
22 Oct 2016 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Shaggus how did you get on?

Pretty sure it was me you were speaking to on the beach. My recommendation of the 50cm bar was based on the fact that that's what I use on my 8m and 12m Cats. I use a 55cm on the Zephyr.

As suggested by me on the day and by others above it might be worthwhile checking your line lengths although I'm sure you said they were ok when we spoke about them.

Offer is still open if you want to try my bars to see if they is any difference

Cheers
Horace.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Oct 2016 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Shaggus

The correct bar for the 12M Cat is 50cm, and as cbulota said, the fact that the C4 flies fine on that bar is an indicator that there is nothing wrong with the bar.
I doubt that there is anything wrong with the bridles or the kite though I reckon it could just be technique. As cauncy said always keep some tension on the bar, do not let it out all the way to the trimmer, even in strong winds you should be able to still keep the bar pulled in a bit.
Don't let the kite fly direct overhead, this is a common mistake, fly the kite to one side of the top of the window and keep it moving very slightly, just make it turn slightly from side to side if the winds are gusty.

Check your line lengths, don't have the kite trimmed all the way in, they fly like crap like that and are harder to control because of the slack in the rear lines, if you have a to trim a kite more than half of the trim length, you probably need to be flying a smaller kite.

Longer bars don't make kite turn faster. They do allow the rider to use less effort or have more leverage to turn the kite, this mechanical advantage gives a feeling of lower pressure needed to turn and can make it seem like the kite is turning faster. The turn speed of a kite is built into its design, hope that helps (and that I have explained what I mean).

kernal
WA, 541 posts
23 Oct 2016 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Shaggus it is nearly impossible to get the c4 to be flying over your head.

So when compareing any other kite to a c4 in regards to it overflying you just keep that in mind. They sit so bloody deep in the window its hard to get them to zenith.

Now if the catty is overflying and stalling and droping out of the sky all you need to do is make sure all 4 lines are equal length. And bar is "in trim" plenty of videos explain how just make sure you havent depowered your centers at all when doing this.

That should have solved your overflying issues.

Shaggus
VIC, 4 posts
26 Nov 2016 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all; slowly getting there..

Plummet
4862 posts
27 Nov 2016 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Overflying might mean rear lines too long.

PS I fly 50cm bar on all my lei's from 13m edge to 6m reo.

straddiepaul
QLD, 160 posts
27 Nov 2016 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

if you have to think about it too much it may be time to upgrade, 2017 auto ride style, otherwise just ride fast with the brakes on, oversheeting, most of the time

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Ozone Contact Bar for 2014 12mtr Catalyst" started by Shaggus