Forums > Kitesurfing General

Newbie gear what to look for?

Created by MurdochNelly > 9 months ago, 2 Jul 2015
MurdochNelly
1 posts
2 Jul 2015 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

G'day,Was wondering if you guys could help me, i'm trying to start out in the kiteboarding world. I wanted to know the best brands/kites/boards/gear in general that would be suitable for a newbie. Also wondering what your opinion is on buying second hand vs. Brand new, and if I were to go second hand what are the major pitfalls that I might fall into when purchasing second hand gear. Cheers.

psychojoe
WA, 1873 posts
2 Jul 2015 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

firstly, your question belongs in the newbies tab.
secondly, don't be cheap.
pay for quality lessons, your instructor will tell you which gear to buy after your lessons.
then buy that gear from a local retailer, you'll get great after sales service, which is a real lifesaver when you're a newb

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
2 Jul 2015 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

There's no one brand that's the best, some may be better than other but each kite flys it's own way and it depends on what you're looking for. Best to get some lessons first and chat to your instructor, they'll be able to give you a rough guide on what to get.

In regards to buying new or second hand it's really on you. If you go new your kite might get trashed a bit but last a little longer, second hand and it could fall apart within a year. My first kite I bought brand new and it's still going strong 2 years later, I have almost torn it in half and had it repaired but it's still good.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
3 Jul 2015 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

ah

Just2807
180 posts
4 Jul 2015 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Get steady kite, which is easy to relaunch, with a better bottom end than top end. Don't look at brand, just demo couple of kites.

If u can't demo kites, ask your instructor to try out some other "student" kites.

I would suggest to buy 2nd hand (not too old, 2009/10+) at your local shop and support them IF (big IF!) that is 1 of models u heard/found/googled/tried and it is good for your stage and u like it. Don't let them sell u their brand/model which is not suitable for u. Some shops just want to sell equipment and will say anything.

Ask other kiters: "what kite?" and "why"! Never forget to ask why.

What i saw: (total beginners progressing very well)
-flysurfer speed 3
-switch element 3
-cabrinha switchblade (2010)
-best kahoona (2011)

It's just beginner to beginner advice :) I ride switchblade 2010 and i am happy how it handles.

Also, invest in new kite when u stop crashing your old kite and u figure out what u want from the kite, then it will be alot easier to pick brand/model.

marno
WA, 218 posts
4 Jul 2015 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Mate you'll get a mixed bag of replies to your question here. Chances are you'll end up more confused than when you started. Some will make some sense but some will be just plain weird, as already seen on this thread. Tell us where you live and we can recommend a good shop for you to go talk to. Any shop will have new and second hand gear, and you will get good advice and service. End thread.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
4 Jul 2015 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
marno said..
Mate you'll get a mixed bag of replies to your question here. Chances are you'll end up more confused than when you started. Some will make some sense but some will be just plain weird, as already seen on this thread. Tell us where you live and we can recommend a good shop for you to go talk to. Any shop will have new and second hand gear, and you will get good advice and service. End thread.

Second that. If you're in NSW call us at Kitepower on (02) 9529 6894 or whip us an email on elliot@kitepower.com.au. I'm happy to give advice even if you're looking at second hand kit from somewhere else. I often have guys call the shop and ask if a certain kite will be suitable and everyone here is happy to give sound advice. You will definitely get some weird advice depending on where you look, best bet is to call your local shop and have a chat.

I will say that we often get guys that come in and have bought kit second hand without being educated on the product and end up having to get odds and ends to make it work. I bought crappy second hand stuff 11 years ago when I started (I was 13 and poor) and had a nightmare of a time. If you buy new (even if it's superseded stock) at least you'll have warranty behind you and a bunch of current spare parts to fix your stuff up with if you have a problem. Not to mention a canopy that isn't bagged is less likely to split. That said, buy what you can afford and enjoy this f**king amazing sport!

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
4 Jul 2015 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

What Just2807 and marno say is pretty spot on. Most kites are made in the same factory in China and they are pretty much all made with the same material and quality.There is a online company called Switch kites that are in my opinion are unbeatable for high quality, affordabley priced kites. For you the choice would be Switch Element 4 with control bar... 9 or 11m depending on your weight and local conditions - they have online chat and can guide you. $1151 for a brand new 9m element4 with rand new bar is really hard to beat. They have twin tip boards as well but you might be better finding a second hand one in the buy and sell - there are tons out there. If you allowed $400 you should be able to get a really good board only couple of seasons old

Getting solid unbiased opinions is hard to find because mostly instructors will be connected to retail shops, retail shops have their product range agenda and everyone including instructors, shops, locals at the beach, forum posters and me have their own preferences, logic and ideas. Even if you found two experienced kiters with no agenda their opinions and advice would likely be different

Livit
WA, 542 posts
4 Jul 2015 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..

Getting solid unbiased opinions is hard to find because mostly instructors will be connected to retail shops, retail shops have their product range agenda and everyone including instructors, shops, locals at the beach, forum posters and me have their own preferences, logic and ideas. Even if you found two experienced kiters with no agenda their opinions and advice would likely be different

Shops have name and reputations. Do you really think they will try to sell you some crap just because they need to get rid of it?

Most of the shops don't even stock the C shapes anymore and that leaves the customers with a broad choice of wave, freeride, hybrid-C that are all beginner friendly.

People who don't know what to buy should trust a shop more than the advice given by people like you. People in shops have in experience.

Of course they have an agenda but is that an issue? They have relationships with the brands they represent which is passed onto their client and known as "customer service".

Seriously Snalberski, not long ago (and it still might be the case) you were riding with a reel leash because you were lacking basic skills and riding way overpowered all the time so please keep the silly advice for yourself and let the pros do their jobs.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
4 Jul 2015 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..
What Just2807 and marno say is pretty spot on. Most kites are made in the same factory in China and they are pretty much all made with the same material and quality.There is a online company called Switch kites that are in my opinion are unbeatable for high quality, affordabley priced kites. For you the choice would be Switch Element 4 with control bar... 9 or 11m depending on your weight and local conditions - they have online chat and can guide you. $1151 for a brand new 9m element4 with rand new bar is really hard to beat. They have twin tip boards as well but you might be better finding a second hand one in the buy and sell - there are tons out there. If you allowed $400 you should be able to get a really good board only couple of seasons old

You can buy a superseded model from a shop brand new for the same price. You have to add GST on top of any of Switch's prices as they are imports and a kite is over a grand. That kite is then $1265. What's it worth to you to be able to run across the street dripping wet in your wetsuit to have the shop help you out with a spare part for your kite, or some screws for a loose footstrap? You have no idea how many times I've fixed our customers kit mid session or gotten their stuff fixed up mid week in time for their weekend session. That's because the shop is open 7 days a week and holds stock of any spare part you could need for the kites we carry. Try getting Switch to get you spare parts and install them in time for your weekend off. Go ahead and try to make shops sound like the bad guy but at the end of the day we offer competitive prices and unparalleled service.

marno
WA, 218 posts
4 Jul 2015 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

..... It's amazing how many threads end up in the age old retailer vs online argument...

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
4 Jul 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely buy used. between Google and forums you can work out kite and board size.

A lot of kites on gumtree are sold as beginner kites. obviously google the brand and model but it's a good place to start.

My first board was $100 and I still use it. My first kite was $350. Perfect But within 2 seasons I'd hammered it to death. At that point I decided I liked the sport enough to invest in a couple of new kites.

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
4 Jul 2015 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..

Shops have name and reputations. Do you really think they will try to sell you some crap just because they need to get rid of it?

Most of the shops don't even stock the C shapes anymore and that leaves the customers with a broad choice of wave, freeride, hybrid-C that are all beginner friendly.

People who don't know what to buy should trust a shop more than the advice given by people like you. People in shops have in experience.

Of course they have an agenda but is that an issue? They have relationships with the brands they represent which is passed onto their client and known as "customer service".

Seriously Snalberski, not long ago (and it still might be the case) you were riding with a reel leash because you were lacking basic skills and riding way overpowered all the time so please keep the silly advice for yourself and let the pros do their jobs.

Livit true to form you have misread my post and its intention, not even offered any advice to its original poster and used this forum to make an attack, nothing else. If you had greater powers of comprehension you may have understood my opening remark which was 'What Just2807 and marno say is pretty spot on' who both recommend to go to a shop. By mentioning an online store I simply offered the original poster (who is asking for help) another alternative which you term as silly advice. You are obviously closely affiliated with a shop or you would not have such a preoccupation with defending the value of shops

As stated in my post everyone has their own preferences, logic and ideas. The difference between me and you is that you think your opinion is the only one that is valid. It must be all those international titles you have collected over your prestigious kiteboarding career at entitle you to a holier than thou attitude.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Newbie gear what to look for?" started by MurdochNelly