Forums > Kitesurfing General

Lighthouse to leighton 2016

Created by OllieTT > 9 months ago, 17 Nov 2016
OllieTT
QLD, 5 posts
17 Nov 2016 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Guys,
Ive got a spot to do the L2L this year and stoked for it. Any tips from anyone who has done it before? Is it usually a broad reach run? What size kite is usually optimum. Was hoping to do it on my new north select 138cm, will that be a good'un?
Cheers

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
17 Nov 2016 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

I've done it last two years but sadly away working this year. Wind was lightish both times in '14 and '15. Used a 17 Zephyr and a Mako 150. Needed every meter of kite and every cm of board.
Broad reach to slightly downwind both times with minimal swell and sea, BUT, its hit and miss this time of year so you might get a 25kn seabreeze on the day. That would be a very different crossing. Watch the forecast and pack your gear as close to the cutoff as possible.
Keep in mind wind is usually stronger at Rotto and will lighten as you get closer to the coast.
Good luck man, have a blast.

MikeyG
WA, 156 posts
17 Nov 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

I've done it the last two years on a 12m and a twin tip. It's a great event.

My tips:
- Get on the water ASAP when at Rotto. Lots of kites trying to launch from a small beach with a wind shadow. It's a nice place to kite too.
- it's a broad reach. Practice going down wind in light winds just in case. My mate struggled on a twin tip to keep his board speed up going so far down wind so had to gybe near the line.
- enjoy!

I'm racing again this year. Fingers crossed for a decent sea breeze!

OllieTT
QLD, 5 posts
18 Nov 2016 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

17 metre, wow! I thought Perth was supposed to be super windy!
Good to know the wind lightens up closer to the mainland.
Do you need your own lifejacket? Is that compulsory?
Cant wait.....

JoeMc
WA, 97 posts
18 Nov 2016 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Ollie yes you need your own lifejacket but you will be issued with flares for the race. These are for use in the event you are attacked by a skark. Just shoot it into their mouth like they do in the movies.

I have a spot this year and have a choice of 7,9 and 12m kites.

Hoping for about 20 knots and loads of weed so the foilers fall over.

Sammyjay
VIC, 180 posts
18 Nov 2016 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JoeMc said..
Ollie yes you need your own lifejacket but you will be issued with flares for the race. These are for use in the event you are attacked by a skark. Just shoot it into their mouth like they do in the movies.

I have a spot this year and have a choice of 7,9 and 12m kites.

Hoping for about 20 knots and loads of weed so the foilers fall over.

Joe, I hope you win the race just for that comment.

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
18 Nov 2016 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

I was killing it for the first 35 seconds......

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Lighthouse to leighton 2016" started by OllieTT