Forums > Kitesurfing General

Learning to kitesurf in July (holiday suggestions?

Created by LouiseJ > 9 months ago, 1 Jun 2016
LouiseJ
NSW, 3 posts
1 Jun 2016 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hi I'm based in Sydney and have taken the first week of July off to take my 15 yr old son on a holiday. The snow forecasts aren't looking good for that early (like most years) so I am thinking of other options.

I've learned some basics of kiting, invested in the gear and can control the kite reasonably well but haven't gotten up on the board yet, I really hoped to progress more over summer weather and free time didn't work out. As I was hoping to do a lot more snow kiting this winter this would be an idea time to dedicate a week to getting over the hump.

My son has flown a trainer kite at the snow and expressed interest in learning to kitesurf and snow kite although he's not the most athletic kid. We did both try wakeboarding though and he absolutely loved it.

I was considering North Queensland as an option but probably even more interested to travel overseas if there is somewhere we could stay at/near the beach and do lessons each day for a reasonable cost. The reliability of the wind is probably my greatest concern as a week long beach holiday with no activities would send me stir crazy.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
1 Jun 2016 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Louise,

Your options are limited to about 3 schools in North QLD at this time of year. I don't think it's worth flying overseas for only 1 week of kitesurfing.

July is Peak season for trade winds in North QLD and even though no one will ''guarantee'' wind to you, there is a very high chance you get at least 50% windy days per week. I've worked up there as a kite instructor for 2 seasons and the worse I've seen was 4 days in a row with no wind, and that's rare.

I would strongly suggest contacting Andy and Luke at KiteboardingCairns. Any school will teach you how to kite but what sets these guys apart is that they will prepare you to kite on your own once you start kiting next summer in Sydney. They will teach you essential deep water skills and how to get yourself out of trouble, which is something most shallow water schools often skip completely. Also Andy and Luke are locals, other schools would typically hire backpackers with limited experience...

You may want to book your lessons in advance as this time of year gets busy with school holidays.

Given your background and experience you'll be an easy student to teach. Private lessons are key as well as you will likely progress at a different pace than your son.

On windless days you can head to the cable park not far away to develop some board skills.

Happy Kiting

Christian

ExSurfCentre
WA, 481 posts
1 Jun 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Louise,

We are having a great season for wind this winter up in Exmouth, whilst its not got the guaranteed consistency of summer we are getting more windy days than not so far.

Even if the wind doesn't play ball there are heaps of other things to keep you busy up here, Diving, Whalesharks, Snorkelling, fishing, surfing to name just a few.

Exmouth Kite Centre runs lessons all year around, you can contact us at www.exmouthkitecentre.com.au or drop me a pm or call on 0467906091.

Tom

DiverD
QLD, 5 posts
1 Jun 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Louise
I took my nine year old son for a 2hr session with Marvin from "in the loop" in Townsville and he had an awesome time. Marvin was very professional and treated him respectfully. I can also vouch for Luke from Cairns kiting as being very professional. Hope you have a great holiday.

dachopper
WA, 1784 posts
1 Jun 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Tarifa in Spain!

LouiseJ
NSW, 3 posts
2 Jun 2016 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm thinking Kiteboarding Cairns sounds like a good bet and will drop them a line. I actually live near Botany Bay so being able to kite independently and look after myself when I get back is very important to me, rather than getting a glamour shot riding a board but being useless when I get home :)

Mattho
QLD, 17 posts
4 Jun 2016 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Look at Australian kite surfari. I took my 14 yo son there last year for a four day trip.Add rafting down the Tully river and a trip to the reef and you've got youself a good holiday. The correct gear is essential as the wind never stops!

SiMalas
12 posts
4 Jun 2016 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Indonesia

Sanur Bali , Kuta Lombok or Lhonga Aceh Sumatra

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Learning to kitesurf in July (holiday suggestions?" started by LouiseJ