Forums > Kitesurfing General

Introducing QUAD-TEX, Exclusive to Naish

Created by Windgenuity > 9 months ago, 29 Jul 2016
Windgenuity
NSW, 610 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Aug 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

It will be interesting to see over the coming months. Naish has been testing this cloth now for 3 years with great results. They have also done numerous controlled "Lab" tests on all the main cloths from some of the leading brands through machines that measure the loads and breaking points in direct pull, angled pull, seams and all the rest (I think they're called tensometers or something??) with amazingly consistent results and not just with new kites but after a year and so on. Some of the numbers are quite scary from some of the cloth suppliers as to really how easily they will fail in comparison to others in these controlled cloth tests. This thread is not about basing any cloths/brands, but letting the word out that something new has been developed and is being backed by Naish. Yes they have exclusivity on this cloth which will bring some defense from other brands, but as it's said above, wait until you see, feel and ride Quad-Tex, it really is very different.

Some of the numbers show Quad-Tex being over 70% stronger than some "premium" brands on the market.

As for the Torch ESP. This kite has really bridged the gap between the Park HD and the 2016 Torch. Evolution of the Park has shown it grow from an easy to use, mellow kite to the bridled three strut weapon that is the PARK HD. So close to the Torch's performance, that the next step was to bring the Torch out to play for every one who wants unrivaled "C" Kite performance with depower at your finger tips. Again, you will have to ride this to understand. Many of us have forgotten how fun the Torch is to fly.

2017 is full of innovations, that's why we go on tour, so you can try them and have an educated opinion instead of make believable ones here on forums. This goes for every brand, try it all.

Ride safe,

JB

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
3 Aug 2016 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

70% is certainly no small margin, I will be keen to see how it holds up this year and hopefully we get some more info from other un-biased sources in the future, pretty cool if true.

Cheers JB.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Aug 2016 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Torch is a sick kite...

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
3 Aug 2016 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Torch is a sick kite...

I don't rate the graphics but the kite is very good.

theDoctor
NSW, 5765 posts
3 Aug 2016 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said...
Another interesting thing I've come across along the way is that black ripstop far outlasts any other colour. I'd always thought black lasted and looked better for longer on my kites, but just recently I saw some hard test info proving it to be so. Fluro colours white and blue wore out the quickest. I'd always heard Blue was bad because it has to absorb the most spectrum to put out the colour we see, but fluro and white seemed to be just as bad.

That's bullplop.
Everyone knows pink kahoonas last longer than any other kite

Windgenuity
NSW, 610 posts
Site Sponsor
3 Aug 2016 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Please note, the 70% was only on one brand of cloth that was tested, Most brands fell in the 30% area hence the advertising (this includes Naish's previous cloth T9600 which has by no means been known a weak cloth, probably one of the stronger on the market til now).

Yes super keen for everyone to have a Quad-Tex experience and hear about it.

JB

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Aug 2016 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..

eppo said..
Torch is a sick kite...

I don't rate the graphics but the kite is very good.

Rowdy I ride north kites, I need to make sure the graphics don't matter...

KiteDesigner
NSW, 169 posts
3 Aug 2016 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

I know some top brands use Taiwan cloth ( very week ), Teigen is probably %60 stronger, so could say current default Teigen is 60% stronger than some other top name brands right now.

If you crash the kite into a wave and it rips, will the kite have a wave crash warranty? No i did not think so.

Have you tested the kite by crashing it into 6 foot waves? I am fairly sure it would rip if at the wrong angle, so I dont see much advantage as the kite is still not covered for damage if you drop the kite in the surf and chances are it will rip anyhow.

Sorry not a rant, If its wave proof then its friggin awesome news.

ColoColo
QLD, 130 posts
3 Aug 2016 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
Wtf are you talking about new comer...I must have been going 'baaahh' for 17 seasons...

Maybe the quad tech is actually better, until you ride the kites (and have enough experience to tell the difference - which I doubt for you given this stupid comment), how the fck would you really know.

Maybe it's the next phase...might not make a huge difference, but that's where we are at, incremental improvements.

All i can say is the difference between D2 or not, longevity and rigidity is / was (it seems) night and day. If you know what you are lookinf for that is.

Don;t knock it until you tried it is what I am saying.

And Micks analyses of the brands is really hilarious... if you have ridden most of the kites for each of the brands...

Geesus chill out man... I was paying you a compliment in the hope that you wouldn't be another "sheep" praaiiiissssiinnn the LLLOOORRD over this new material that is really no big deal IMFHO, if I may!?

4 X normal rip stop... whooppeeee... yeah lets' really see how the thing holds up when a SLAM DUNK is done with the kite at full G FORCES into the water and hear the bladder internally go POP, POP, POP, and the kite material still holding on!

NOW THAT WOULD BE IMPRESSIVE

Yeah dude.,... MAYBE IT WILL BE BETTER...

fffrkkk next time I'll just hide from the "GURUS" in this place and stop putting in a thought! Will that suffice ol great oneness.!?!?!?!?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Aug 2016 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

ah sh1t apologies man...had a fcked day....

All good...

ColoColo
QLD, 130 posts
4 Aug 2016 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
ah sh1t apologies man...had a fcked day....

All good...

Thanks man. No worries.

Is this place a little microcosom of what society is like at the moment? ie intolerant to people that are different and have different beliefs?

I think in real life, we could all be kiting on the same beach and enjoying 20knot winds and a big BBQ at the end of the day.

Chris_M
2128 posts
4 Aug 2016 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windgenuity said..
Please note, the 70% was only on one brand of cloth that was tested, Most brands fell in the 30% area hence the advertising (this includes Naish's previous cloth T9600 which has by no means been known a weak cloth, probably one of the stronger on the market til now).

JB

Yes, its great that there is a new fabric.

I would really like it if there was a solution to another problem I have with Naish kites which I have a little more urgency around..... replacement valves for the octopus system!

Having a total nightmare getting these parts.

Currently waiting for over 2 months after paying for 5 valves, still have a broken kite, and minus over a hundred bucks after paying upfront (shop will remain unnamed at this stage).

Why doesn't Naish sell these parts? Its totally stupid. I want to fix my naish kite, and everybody I deal with seems totally incompetent (emailed naish a couple of times, no reply, slack)

So how about you help me out here Windgenuity..... how can I get some of these as genuine parts instead of trying to deal with fixmykite who have gone silent on me?

ColoColo
QLD, 130 posts
4 Aug 2016 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

Windgenuity said..

JB

I would really like it if there was a solution to another problem I have with Naish kites which I have a little more urgency around..... replacement valves for the octopus system!

Currently waiting for over 2 months after paying for 5 valves, still have a broken kite, and minus over a hundred bucks after paying upfront (shop will remain unnamed at this stage).

Why doesn't Naish sell these parts? Its totally stupid. I want to fix my naish kite, and everybody I deal with seems totally incompetent (emailed naish a couple of times, no reply, slack)

So how about you help me out here Windgenuity..... how can I get some of these as genuine parts instead of trying to deal with fixmykite who have gone silent on me?

I had an octopus Naish kite and converted it to normal connector style using the new Quinko non-glueable valves. I spent about $120 all up but never looked back. Yeah and a bit of hand sewing to seal off the old holes inside the leading edge. That was the worst part actually.

marco
WA, 314 posts
4 Aug 2016 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ColoColo said..

I had an octopus Naish kite and converted it to normal connector style using the new Quinko non-glueable valves. I spent about $120 all up but never looked back. Yeah and a bit of hand sewing to seal off the old holes inside the leading edge. That was the worst part actually.

Are you serious? You must be really bored of doing that.... I never had a problem with my octopussy .

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Aug 2016 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..

Windgenuity said..

JB

Hey Chris_M,

Bummed to hear you're having issues with your kite.

A few key things here, these valves you are awaiting are a 3rd party company and nothing to do with Naish. As you have stated above, Naish do not make a stick on valve replacement, so we can not help you here with this one.

Next, Naish do sell replacement bladders for all their kites. Stocking of very old models may be difficult, but in general there is bladders available for just about everything (or alternatives). I am assuming the shop you are dealing with is the dealer you bought the kite from? This is always the best way to deal with any issues.

I see you are in New Zealand, did you email the New Zealand Distributor or Naish Direct through their website? either way the email would have re-directed to Naish NZ. I will send something off to Naish NZ and see if I can get them to contact you.

I am happy to organise you a bladder, however you must understand we are in Australia. I will PM you to get more details.

Stoked that you are excited about Quad - Tex.

Ride safe,

JB

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
5 Aug 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ColoColo said..

eppo said..
Wtf

4 X normal rip stop... whooppeeee... yeah lets' really see how the thing holds up when a SLAM DUNK is done with the kite at full G FORCES into the water and hear the bladder internally go POP, POP, POP, and the kite material still holding on!

A kite bladder will not pop unless something spikes it or the leading edge material gives way.
Stronger,stiffer and lighter kites will always be an improvement but I guess the next claim will be they are harder to repair (like d2). No doubt that will be forgotten about pretty soon though.
As for wave proof I think that will only be possible once kites stop hitting the water.

Chris_M
2128 posts
5 Aug 2016 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JB said..

Chris_M said..

Windgenuity said..

JB

Hey Chris_M,

Bummed to hear you're having issues with your kite.

A few key things here, these valves you are awaiting are a 3rd party company and nothing to do with Naish. As you have stated above, Naish do not make a stick on valve replacement, so we can not help you here with this one.

Next, Naish do sell replacement bladders for all their kites. Stocking of very old models may be difficult, but in general there is bladders available for just about everything (or alternatives). I am assuming the shop you are dealing with is the dealer you bought the kite from? This is always the best way to deal with any issues.

I see you are in New Zealand, did you email the New Zealand Distributor or Naish Direct through their website? either way the email would have re-directed to Naish NZ. I will send something off to Naish NZ and see if I can get them to contact you.

I am happy to organise you a bladder, however you must understand we are in Australia. I will PM you to get more details.

Stoked that you are excited about Quad - Tex.

Ride safe,

JB

Hey, cheers for the offer. The shop who is trying to get me the valves I paid for offered me strut bladders for $130 each. I need 5. Thats $650. I bought the kite second hand, so simply want the best and cheapest option (valves for $30 each).

It's a shame its such a convoluted system. I think customers would feel really supported by the company if there was a readily available set of replacement parts, and also not being made to feel stink because you bought a second hand kite.

I know that kites deteriorate with age etc, but what I have is basically a perfect nearly unused kite a few years old with all the female valves falling off. Every other valve is in perfect condition. A defect? Whatever, I just want to be able to get replacement parts at an affordable price. I also own a switch kite and as a comparison had a look at their website, and you can buy every spare part for every model of kite, and really cheap, eg a new strut bladder with the right valve connection is only $17 bucks! I figured that must be a typo, but its been on their website for the last few months. Not a Switch pimp by the way, I just think from a consumers POV that is an awesome feature.

The good news is, I got an email yesterday from the shop saying I could expect them to arrive within the month.

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, lets get back to talking about the new fabric. Just thought Naish might like to hear something from a regular consumers point of view.

Windgenuity
NSW, 610 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Aug 2016 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

All good Chris_M,

Stoked you're replacement valves are not far off. Sounds a little steep for a Strut Bladder, are you sure it wasn't for a set (3)?? If for what ever reason it goes south, feel free to PM me and we'll see what we can work out

Anyway back to Quad-Tex!

regards,

JB

Chris_M
2128 posts
5 Aug 2016 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, maybe I misinterpreted, was told "unless you want a complete Naish bladder? They are $150-$190 depending on your kite size" which maybe means the leading edge and all struts? If so thats actually a pretty good deal and I probably should have gone with it, damn.

Oh well, committed to the stick on's now, and thanks for the offer of further support if it doesn't work out, much appreciated.

....so that new material is pretty rigid huh? Sounds like a good innovation

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
9 Aug 2016 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yes i might be coming over from the northside soon ...see you at August escape ...the new material is great crisp feel and responds well ....??????? The decision n stress what to fly this season.....

Haradahold
1 posts
13 Aug 2016 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Will there also be a new Park in 2017? It looks like the kite is killed by the wave kite Slash?

simonlacey
QLD, 17 posts
13 Aug 2016 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

You Know your gonna be riding NORTH as always rhinoman

DanozDirect
QLD, 106 posts
14 Aug 2016 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Windgenuity said..
All good Chris_M,

Stoked you're replacement valves are not far off. Sounds a little steep for a Strut Bladder, are you sure it wasn't for a set (3)?? If for what ever reason it goes south, feel free to PM me and we'll see what we can work out

Anyway back to Quad-Tex!

regards,

JB

JB, question.

What needles and threads do you recommend for repairers like myself? Any difference in thickness, etc?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
14 Aug 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DanozDirect said...
Windgenuity said..
All good Chris_M,

Anyway back to Quad-Tex!

regards,

JB

JB, question.

What needles and threads do you recommend for repairers like myself? Any difference in thickness, etc?

You'll be out of business it's f.....g QUAD-TEX

JamesGibbons
53 posts
16 Aug 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Some more pictures of the 2017 Torch and the new bar that were posted on a french forum

HappyG
VIC, 290 posts
16 Aug 2016 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Do not Tell Me that is a BELOW THE BAR SWIVEL... On a Naish Bar....

Jesus it must cost 800 plus now

Holy Crap Batman....

DanozDirect
QLD, 106 posts
16 Aug 2016 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JamesGibbons said..
Some more pictures of the 2017 Torch and the new bar that were posted on a french forum

Yep. same stitching as any other kite.

crakas
QLD, 446 posts
17 Aug 2016 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

The mini bridle looks just like a pre-2005 GK kite... Looking forward to seeing the new material, that certainly won't be like a pre-2005 GK kite..

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Aug 2016 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Danoz, your existing thread and needles should be fine. The cloth is noticeably stiffer, but would affect your machine.

JB

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Introducing QUAD-TEX, Exclusive to Naish" started by Windgenuity