WA, 117 posts
6 Jun 2016 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

I am surprised something like this hasn;t happened sooner. Very cool

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
6 Jun 2016 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

hmmm... any aerial awareness is good.... i have done a bit at trampoline joints but it never seemed to transfer to well.... not sure how many hours a week i could do this but i like the idea of it possibly creating some new tricks would be cool. one thing that is for sure if you want a kite setup to mimick someone just leaning back on a rope and hoisting you up it certaintly is going to be alot more like a big slow boreing as **** foil as opposed to a nippy little powerful c kite

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
6 Jun 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

What a great idea to at least start playing around with this style of kiting !! I guess you can of forget about the kite for a bit and get the sensation of what it is you are trying to achieve - I cant see it becoming a lite wind day activity but what a fun thing to do at a kite camp or intermediate lessons while waiting for the wind to kick in - take note kitesurfing instructors! Kozzie - could be a new side line for sumo wrestlers on their day of LOL - the boosting job that is!!

Gfly
165 posts
6 Jun 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

I saw a video where this Russian guy had a bar hanging in his basement or dungeon and he was practicing handle pass moves

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
7 Jun 2016 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gfly said..
I saw a video where this Russian guy had a bar hanging in his basement or dungeon and he was practicing handle pass moves

That's a funky fetish

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said. take note kitesurfing instructors! Kozzie - could be a new side line for sumo wrestlers on their day of LOL - the boosting job that is!!

it takes most people ahwhile to learn a bkb on the old school bar in the palm tree on the beach simply adding a pulley to it wont cost to much even on the more deserted islands we could rig one up with the wheel of the top of a rusty old boat trailer that allways seems to be laying about near a kite shop. problem is all the village kids would be lifting eachother up 10 feet then dropping eachother hahaha but yeah... would certaintly make bat**** boreing sup days more intresting could just give the pulley end of rope to the local rabid beach dogs :D

when landing hard off the bar in a tree with board on you can really **** your knees but with this it could really cushion the blow etc

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
9 Jun 2016 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

hmm got a remote - check

now where to get a gruntier garage door engine

ColoColo
QLD, 130 posts
9 Jun 2016 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Any chance we could have that video in utube for us that don't have a facebook account, and don't intend getting one!

Bletti
WA, 163 posts
9 Jun 2016 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

not sure i agree with socks and straps

curls
WA, 74 posts
10 Jun 2016 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like fun if you're in to old school freestyle and the wind hasn't been up for days and you're getting desperate.
I get that an adult can manage to pull a kid up in the air but how do they pull up the adults?
Doesn't work for anything unhooked obliviously, so personally I'd still prefer practicing in the cable park. If you're in Sydney and don't mind the drive to Penrith the winter season pass is only $99 for the whole winter, which is such a sweet deal. Bring a thick wettie though, that lake water is pretty chilly.
SkyZone in Alexandria (trampoline park) does "mega mondays", $10 for unlimited jumping and they rent out soft boards with straps as well. And they've got a foam pit!

curls
WA, 74 posts
10 Jun 2016 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ColoColo said..
Any chance we could have that video in utube for us that don't have a facebook account, and don't intend getting one!

www.facebook.com/623274727775892/videos/720238124746218/ works without being logged in.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
10 Jun 2016 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

curls said..
I get that an adult can manage to pull a kid up in the air but how do they pull up the adults?

www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html

seriously

noodelsrominov
VIC, 265 posts
10 Jun 2016 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

^^ha ha...black magic those pulley things.

Gfly
165 posts
11 Jun 2016 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
curls said..
Looks like fun if you're in to old school freestyle and the wind hasn't been up for days and you're getting desperate.
Doesn't work for anything unhooked obliviously, so personally I'd still prefer practicing in the cable park. If you're in Sydney and don't mind the drive to Penrith the winter season pass is only $99 for the whole winter, which is such a sweet deal. Bring a thick wettie though, that lake water is pretty chilly.
SkyZone in Alexandria (trampoline park) does "mega mondays", $10 for unlimited jumping and they rent out soft boards with straps as well. And they've got a foam pit!

I find those wakeparks use thick wooden logs as bars so after a couple of laps the forearms start to ache. Must be some ploy to get riders to fall off to get the queue moving. Must be dirt cheap to get pieces of log and tie ropes to them too.

werty
WA, 119 posts
11 Jun 2016 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

I believe the euros have just launched a pro circuit for this...

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
11 Jun 2016 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gfly said..

I find those wakeparks use thick wooden logs as bars so after a couple of laps the forearms start to ache. Must be some ploy to get riders to fall off to get the queue moving. Must be dirt cheap to get pieces of log and tie ropes to them too.

if your finding your arms are getting worked after a couple laps on a wakeboard try useing a wakestyle kiteboard they tend to have less rocker and more flex and weigh less this loosely translates to more speed which means less pull on the arms from the cable. there is quite a few downsides with this but it will mean you can hang in there a bit longer then the super heavey and dragy wakeboards

curls
WA, 74 posts
14 Jun 2016 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Kozzie said..

curls said..

www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html
seriously

Thanks for pointing out the oblivious. The fact that they use a pulley system is a given, my question was more about how they manage to get the acceleration to simulate jumping with a kite (for each wheel on the pulley you have to pull more rope, e.g. if you have 4 wheels you'd only need a quarter of the strength but also four times the distance, so if I want to pull up a 100kg person 2m up in the air it would only feel like 25kg but I'd have to pull in 8m of rope. How do you pull in 8m of rope in a split second?)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Indoor airstyle training" started by KiteBud