Forums > Kitesurfing General

Hawaii

Created by Pmentos87 > 9 months ago, 28 Nov 2016
Pmentos87
NSW, 4 posts
28 Nov 2016 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to Hawaii (honolulu 5 days then Big Island) on the 5th of Dec and I do not know whether to take the gear with me or not?

Is there any good flat water spots for a beginner??

JKimbler
317 posts
28 Nov 2016 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

From Honolulu, jump on the Pali highway to Kailua Beach. Good flat water bay with easy rolling waves on the outer reef. We've been having a windy fall and it looks like more to come. 9 and 12 Meter kites should cover you, I've been on a 9/surfboard for a month straight. Surfnewsnetwork.com is pretty on it for wind and surf reports. Big Island I heard doesn't have many kiting options but you never know. Kailua (Oahu) has a great kiting and windsurfing community and it's a beginner's paradise. Have fun.

Pmentos87
NSW, 4 posts
29 Nov 2016 8:07AM
Thumbs Up

thank for the info Jkimbler :)

JKimbler
317 posts
29 Nov 2016 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

No problem, enjoy. If there's no wind it's because I ordered a new kite, sorry...

JKimbler
317 posts
6 Dec 2016 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Well, **. Sorry man, I truly did kill the wind by buying a new kite. Hoping it will return while you're here, if not at least the surf is nice and smooth.

Pmentos87
NSW, 4 posts
8 Dec 2016 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

i was there yesterday and no wind :(

i got 3 more days in waikiki!!im off to the north shore today for a drive!! Can you recommend anything? (no for surf or kite...just tourist thing)..... nice spots to see?

thanks

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
8 Dec 2016 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pmentos87 said..
i was there yesterday and no wind :(

i got 3 more days in waikiki!!im off to the north shore today for a drive!! Can you recommend anything? (no for surf or kite...just tourist thing)..... nice spots to see?

thanks

The kite spot on the North Shore is called Mokuleia beach (north west), it's right in front of an airfield. Beware that because it's the north and winter that means a huge swell plus it's all reef under the water. A challenging spot not for beginners, so you're better off at Kailua for flat water and no swell/reef.

If you do go, you will see lots of Switch kites and possibly the cool aussie bloke Felix Pivec (Switch kites & Firewire surfboards rep).

Cool things to do: snorkelling at Shark cove. Checkout the surfing at Pipeline.

JKimbler
317 posts
8 Dec 2016 2:59AM
Thumbs Up

You will most likely end up starting in Hale'iwa town, there are a lot of cool shops and places to eat there. We like The Waialua Bakery for sandwiches and smoothies... heading up the North Shore side there will be lots of action in the water as a clean medium size swell is up today. Should be great spectating down on the beach at Pipeline/backdoor/off the wall. Look for Euhukai Beach Park near the elementary school and park on the side of the road if the lot is full.

If you're continuing north, there's a beautiful beach just before Turtle Bay. Look for a fruit stand on the mountain side....also if you go that far, check out Laie Point.

If you're up for a more country experience than I would definitely head west towards the kite spot Alysum mentioned, and continue on past the airfield to Ka'ena Point. Beautiful views and maybe you'll even get lucky and spot some whales.

Have fun and take your time.

JKimbler
317 posts
8 Dec 2016 3:10AM
Thumbs Up

Also, Turtle Bay has an awesome bar on the ocean with amazing views (and Mai tias). You can just drive into the resort and walk down by the pool to find it. Another favorite spot to eat in Hale'iwa is Lui Buenos, really good mexican/seafood and a cool atmosphere. Enjoy the day, it's beautiful out right now.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Hawaii" started by Pmentos87