QLD, 1211 posts
8 Jun 2016 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

He must have felt like a real kook...why would anyone kite upto a steel post

KiteBud
WA, 1518 posts
8 Jun 2016 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

No point in hanging on once your line gets hooked in to a fixed object and the kite starts pulling: release everything! I learned that lesson a few years ago while snow kiting and one of my back lines got caught above me in a snow cornice and kite started death looping. Because I waited too long to release, the kite eventually got damaged from hitting the ground with force repetitively and deflated, I was 12km from the car park and sun was going down.

He eventually did the right thing but took him a while to do so. In strong winds it would've been more dangerous. This is also the kind of situation where having a hook knife could make a big difference.

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
8 Jun 2016 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

Why would anyone kite up to a post , probably because he doesn't understand what could happen if line clips the post .This vid reminds me of an accident a mate of mine had a few years ago that I watched unfold . Kiting upwind of thin trees in 30 knots he was using a 2012 9m edge forward speed around 25 knots and the leading steering line 20 m up from bar clipped the tree 1 metre from tip of tree and put kite into a loop which ripped him straight out of his straps and into the bank next to the tree in less than 3 seconds. He was so lucky he didn't hit the tree , ended up next to it. A day later his calves and hammy were black as caused by overextension of muscles when he got ripped out of the footstraps ,he was f.....d for a month. The guy in vid was very lucky he didn't get ripped into the post.

Kajo
NSW, 333 posts
9 Jun 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..
No point in hanging on once your line gets hooked in to a fixed object and the kite starts pulling: release everything! I learned that lesson a few years ago while snow kiting and one of my back lines got caught above me in a snow cornice and kite started death looping. Because I waited too long to release, the kite eventually got damaged from hitting the ground with force repetitively and deflated, I was 12km from the car park and sun was going down.

He eventually did the right thing but took him a while to do so. In strong winds it would've been more dangerous. This is also the kind of situation where having a hook knife could make a big difference.

That's what I was thinking, eject straight away and go get your kite. Personally, I would have just held the kite, not deflated it and disconnected the one line that got caught around the pole. Pull it back around the pole and be done. Coulda been out there kiting again in 5 minutes.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
9 Jun 2016 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djt91184 said..
He must have felt like a real kook...why would anyone kite upto a steel post

theres a good one at dingo beach, you gotto jump along side of it and wack a sticker as high as you can on it :)

Youngbreezy
WA, 949 posts
9 Jun 2016 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

What were those poles doing out in the water anyway?

They're not poles they're russians!!! He he

Youngbreezy
WA, 949 posts
9 Jun 2016 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Or maybe they didn't add the music after it was actually playing in his helmet and he decided to end it all rather than sit through that horrible track!

Just2807
180 posts
9 Jun 2016 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah i was too wondering why there are that steel poles there. I saw 2-3 maybe? Since its shallow, maybe for selflaunching/landing? Boat anchor? But then again, why not buoy :|

Volleyball net? xD

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Funny Death Loop Video" started by BatKiter