Forums > Kitesurfing General

East coast kiting trip - Where to go?

Created by Travs87 > 9 months ago, 30 May 2016
Travs87
NSW, 2 posts
30 May 2016 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,

Looks like I've hit the jackpot and will have about a month to play with while I wait for my next working visa to come through - not one to waste an opportunity so am planning a road/kiting trip up the East Coast from Sydney.

So... friendly seabreeze community I need some recommendations! I'm fairly new to the sport so flat(er) water is preferred, but I'll take any pointers. Distance is not a issue, I know there are some good spots around Port Douglas so will end up there; but where to go in between? (Preferably locations where there is at least a strong possibility I won't get eaten by a crocodile - I've seen the news this morning and it's not good.)

Also if anyone is free between Jul 3rd and beginning-ish of August and fancies joining a pomme (sorry, it's not my fault) for a session or two I'd welcome you with open arms/a cold beer!

Cheers,

Ben

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
30 May 2016 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

man jump on google earth and look at the coast. i was looking this morning and found a dozen sick spots north and south of Sydney.

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
30 May 2016 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

drive north for 27.5 hours to find gold

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
31 May 2016 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ben,

The further north you go this time of year the better, and I mean way north. Not sure about down Sydney way, but in SE QLD the wind is pretty non existent this time of year. Far North QLD is the go, a few local here head up there in winter for some reliable solid days.

DJ1986
WA, 14 posts
31 May 2016 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Anything north of Mackay is windy. Anyting south and you'll be sitting on the beach.

If you're staying at Airlie, you can kite hideaway bay, then Bowen (nothing special), then Pallaranda beach and Alva at Townsville and then Yorkey's Knob at Cairns. Would also highly recommend Australian Kite Surfari if you can make it that far up. I've been twice and it literally is guaranteed winds almost 24/7!

Enjoy the trip. I'm jealous.

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
31 May 2016 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

HA you failed geography in school eh Alva in The ville ? For the record Theres 4 flatwater locations between Bowen and Alva that I have kited in a sthly, get you map out and dream.

DiverD
QLD, 5 posts
1 Jun 2016 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

I am amazed how people "like" dj1986 have to include Bowen (nothing special) in their posts but recommend the open beach at Pallarenda. Bowen has the clearest water and most reliable wind north of Mackay in Winter when ever kiting on my way through. By the way, trolls don't bother bagging Bowen. I know the locals would rather you stay away.

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
1 Jun 2016 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

If I were you Travs87 I would leave the car in Sydney , get onto the first available spot on Australian Kitesurfari for 7 days and then hire a car and hang out around Cairns ( Yorkeys Knob ) / Port Douglas ( 4 mile beach ) for the rest of your time . NSW east coast is mainly Westerlies that time of year, might get the occasional southerly, I really think you would be wasting precious Far North Queensland trade winds away by spending your time in NSW. Good luck with your trip .

Travs87
NSW, 2 posts
2 Jun 2016 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Looks like I'll jump in the motor and make a B-line for Mackay, then drive north from there stopping at Bowen. teabaggin and DJ1986 I'll check out Australian Kitesurfari - was reading about them yesterday too and it sounds like a great way to spend a week.

Oh and if I find gold I'll let you know iandvnt!

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
2 Jun 2016 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Travs87 said...

Looks like I'll jump in the motor and make a B-line for Mackay, then drive north from there stopping at Bowen. teabaggin and DJ1986 I'll check out Australian Kitesurfari - was reading about them yesterday too and it sounds like a great way to spend a week.

Sounds like a good idea. Cape flattery is the best. If your into fishing take a rod. There is some good fish off the beach up there

whitsun
QLD, 95 posts
2 Jun 2016 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..

Travs87 said...

Sounds like a good idea. Cape flattery is the best. If your into fishing take a rod. There is some good fish off the beach up there

Better take more than a fishing rod!!!

CHOOT EM!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"East coast kiting trip - Where to go?" started by Travs87