Forums > Kitesurfing General

DIY DIrectional Board

Created by MozKiter > 9 months ago, 13 Sep 2016
MozKiter
94 posts
13 Sep 2016 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone

After my much-better-than-expected DIY plywood light wind kiteboard I have now come up with a new project. I have a lot of wood left and I am itching to do something cool with it.

SO here is my idea. I want to make a directional board with some plywood. It is 12mm so I will have to do two layers for a big part of the board. I want to leave the nose as a single layer so I can put some rocker in it. I need some rocker to surf some waves.

I want to have something to surf waves with as it is hard to ride waves with a small TT. But here is the catch. I want to be able to use it(even if only barely) for paddle surfing as well.

I don't know what size exactly but reading through some posts on here and some surf forums I am leaning to something like 180cm x 60cm with either a square tail or a slight swallow tail. Is 180cm too much for a kiteboard? My DIY light wind board is 150cm x 50cm and I can ride it when the kite is struggling to stay in the air(very hard to launch it).

Would love to hear some suggestions from others. If someone has built one before please feel free to share advice, comments, lessons learnt and pics.

Thanks guys

Cheers
Mozzie

MozKiter
94 posts
14 Sep 2016 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone ride a kiteboard longer than 180cm is basically my question. And how wide is a board like that?

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
15 Sep 2016 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

I love to hear the excitement about a DIY directional but I fear a surf board made of plywood will be just soo heavy.

MozKiter
94 posts
15 Sep 2016 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

If it rides well on the kite then it is mission acomplished. If it also surfs then even better. Even if not it doesnt surf it is awesome

MozKiter
94 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

After working on my project for two months it is finally finished. And I must say I am more than happy with the outcome. I took it for a test yesterday in some serious chop and cross onshore wind of about 23knots. Did awesome. The rocker is perfect and didnt nosedive when i went down the face of a wave.

So i would rate it 110% success. Performed much better than I expected.

Here are also some pics of the finished product and some of me testing it out. Lemme know whatcha guys think.

Cheers
Mozzie

MozKiter
94 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Here are the pics

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
11 Nov 2016 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MozKiter said..
After working on my project for two months it is finally finished. And I must say I am more than happy with the outcome. I took it for a test yesterday in some serious chop and cross onshore wind of about 23knots. Did awesome. The rocker is perfect and didnt nosedive when i went down the face of a wave.

Here are also some pics of the finished product and some of me testing it out. Lemme know whatcha guys think.

Cheers
Mozzie

... a few pics would be cool!!!!

MozKiter
94 posts
11 Nov 2016 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said...
MozKiter said..

Cheers
Mozzie

... a few pics would be cool!!!!

I did. Didnt they show up?

Let me try again.

Plummet
4862 posts
12 Nov 2016 5:49AM
Thumbs Up

Looking good man. Did you make the fins too? They look cool. It might be worthwhile rounding off the rails.

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
12 Nov 2016 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Go for a fat fish next

I love my Nemo skimboard, it hammers up wind in barely a puff of breeze. With a couple of fins on it and a little bit of extra length you could do crazy stuff with it.

As you are proving you don't need volume for kiteboarding!

MozKiter
94 posts
12 Nov 2016 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Plummet.

Yes I made the fins myself Plummet. Shaped them from plywood and glassed them on and screwed them in from the top as well.

It has very little bouyancy but that thing rocks that chop and that fish tail makes for some wicked tight turns.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
12 Nov 2016 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

disapointed

thought moz kiter was a little hungry village boy

hes just some rich white dude

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
12 Nov 2016 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Miser said..
disapointed

Rich peeps don't make their own stuff

nød lærer en naken kvinne å sy

MozKiter
94 posts
12 Nov 2016 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

I dont see the purpose of your post Miser.

Let me just tell you I am not just a rich white dude. I am not rich. That is why i made a board myself..if i was rich I would've just bought one. And i would've bought myself a hydrofoil instead of making one like I did. White I am but what has that got to do with anything? I was born and raised in Mozambique fyi

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
12 Nov 2016 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Miser said..
disapointed

... you sir are a douche Miser,,,, contribute zero,,,,,, you sound or type just like that douchebag keyboard warrior RPM or also known as NoBS or who f knows now-a-days,,,,, just f off and enjoy some dudes achieving board nirvana!! Mozkiter,,,, full respect for going for it,,,,,, and f the rest of the deckheads!!! Love'n thy work!!!!

Adam'KiteRepair
NSW, 331 posts
13 Nov 2016 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Really dig all that hard work, kite brother. Looks sick. And even if it hadnt worked, it would have been epic just hangin on the wall. Look forward to seeing your next diy post.

MozKiter
94 posts
13 Nov 2016 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thank you Rails, Puetz and Adam.

It is nice to hear some positive feedback.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"DIY DIrectional Board" started by MozKiter