Forums > Kitesurfing General

Boosting on the Goldy in 30-50 Knot goodness

Created by Matt C > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2016
Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

We went for a kite on Saturday 4/6 down at Kirra Beach, on the Gold Coast in search of some wind. We found it, and it was bloody good. Heres a clip I put together from the day, was riding an 8M Slingshot Wave SST, and boosting with a few stacks!

www.facebook.com/matt.carrot/posts/10153477246806930?notif_t=like¬if_id=1465216228025166

I can't upload strait to seabreeze as it wont let me, so check out the link.

I appreciate the keyboard warriors on here will have some fun, so I guess I'll wait for the pot to be stirred!

Cheers, hope you enjoy.

Matt C

P.S If anyone knows how I can upload it, let me know. It wont load on, I'm assuming its too big. (Thats what she said)

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

upload it to youtube or vimeo

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
7 Jun 2016 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Matt. Great video. Keyboard warrior here!

I remember my first 50knt onshore kite.

I probably wouldn't do it again because I'm not a $$$$$$$ retard.

You wonder why slingshot parts cost so much. ($50 for a trim line) well it's coz they sponsor idiots like this.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
7 Jun 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

I enjoyed that!
Our supposed big wind day in Gero has spectacularly crashed to about zeroe after work

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Matt C
Did you say you were on an 8m kite in 50 knots??? I don't doubt it was 50 knots

Don't you own a 5 or 6m kite? Down here in cold old Victoria we get the 'occasional' southerly blast where a small kite is mandatory in the quiver!!

I also noticed the shorty wetsuit - seriously ?? I'm reaching for my 4:3 steamer about now!!

Thanks for posting - I'm surprised there were a few more that got out but then again an 8m swell would have pulled me up fast as well - sit and watch in awe and kite a few more sessions before dying!! My wife appreciates that attitude :-)

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Matt,

There were about 3-4 of us out at the alley around 1.00 to 2.30

Felt more onshore than what it shows on the graph

Great sesh though..........YeeeooooOoooow!

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Why do you think I wrote "keyboard warrior" and why do you think sent you a PM??

I didn't realize I needed a sponsorship. Will you help me get a sponsorship for some trim lines?

That would be epic.

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said...
Matt C
Did you say you were on an 8m kite in 50 knots??? I don't doubt it was 50 knots

Don't you own a 5 or 6m kite? Down here in cold old Victoria we get the 'occasional' southerly blast where a small kite is mandatory in the quiver!!

I also noticed the shorty wetsuit - seriously ?? I'm reaching for my 4:3 steamer about now!!

Thanks for posting - I'm surprised there were a few more that got out but then again an 8m swell would have pulled me up fast as well - sit and watch in awe and kite a few more sessions before dying!! My wife appreciates that attitude :-)

Yeah I do, but I lent the 6s to Sean and Scott. I love bring over powered

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said...
Why do you think I wrote "keyboard warrior" and why do you think sent you a PM??

I didn't realize I needed a sponsorship. Will you help me get a sponsorship for some trim lines?

That would be epic.

Would love to be able to help you out with the parts, but i haven't had any issues so I'm not sure. Ask a local dealer.

As for being called a champ in one place and an idiot in the other, honesty is best an an idiot would have been sufficient. ??

SibboV1
368 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Matt C said..
8M Slingshot Wave SST, and boosting

Man the kite must be pretty ****, sponsored rider, 50 knots and couldn't even do some loops. Are you ****, or is the kite ****? Maybe you should try another sport?

Mark _australia
WA, 22090 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gilly3 said..
Hey Matt,

shows 30kn day with some gusts.

50kn my arse. We get solid non stop 35kn seabreeze here, half the guys go home and those that are out are on 6m and not for long.

Matt u can't call it a 30- 50kn day as it peaked somewhere in your state for 10sec at 50kn. It was a 30-35kn day. You kited 30kn.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

50 knots is a mother of nature event you wont forget if you are on the beach - this is my (max gust) kestrel reading that I got while contemplating what kite to pump up in the middle of a seriously crazy moment where the water and the beach didn't seem to have a defined boundary - Spring last year at Loch Sport on the Gippsland lakes - I had to walk off the beach to a protected area to read the kestrel
Ok its blurred but I guarantee its a true 52.5 knots . We did get out when it backed off about 20 mins later but on 6m kites and I'm 93 kg !

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

I hope you were not running forwards at 10 knots!

Cheeky!

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe EDIT the topic, 50 knots is cat 1 which it was not.

Plummet
4862 posts
7 Jun 2016 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Nice. Looks like a sweet session.

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^ absolutely not - We could hardly see when on the beach !! soo much sand and water moving
Some have said the kestrel might have under-read the wind speed cuz the plastic impeller would have been slowed down by water and sand ?
I was at the Terrigal sailing club back in the early 80's when a front came through at an official 60 knots - that was frightening !! roof tiles were being blown off the roof and into the Haven - and I could seriously lean into the wind !!
50 knots - its nuts !!! 60 knots is just crazy (the force of wind speed isn't linear)
I reckon my Bandit 6 m with my weight is OK to around 40 knots gusts - beyond that I just don't need to be out there - and not in 8m surf!!

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SibboV1 said...
Matt C said..

Man the kite must be pretty ****, sponsored rider, 50 knots and couldn't even do some loops. Are you ****, or is the kite ****? Maybe you should try another sport?

I'll give dancing a go, when you post a video.

appreciate the tip!

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said...
Gilly3 said..
Hey Matt,

50kn my arse. We get solid non stop 35kn seabreeze here, half the guys go home and those that are out are on 6m and not for long.

Matt u can't call it a 30- 50kn day as it peaked somewhere in your state for 10sec at 50kn. It was a 30-35kn day. You kited 30kn.

Sorry mum, I wont do it again

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
7 Jun 2016 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, I'll change it when I can. My apologies.

I appreciate the time and care you have about how windy it was, but how about you go and find a girlfriend so you have someone to express hurt feelings to?

SibboV1
368 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Matt C said..

SibboV1 said...

Matt C said..

I'll give dancing a go, when you post a video.

appreciate the tip!

I've got a great video of me dancing with your misses. Want me to post that up? She said not to though, something about not another of her sex tapes.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Jun 2016 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

So a bloke carnt go out on the drink have a good session without being furked over by haters, chill the furk out

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
7 Jun 2016 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with you Cauncy...that inability to red-thumb has made us a group of critical haters.

Hey Matt, nice work champ. I enjoyed watching your stoke and thanks for taking the time and effort to post it. Wind meter or not that was blowing it's box off and credit to you for getting amongst it.

It was a good alternative to all the pictures and video I have seen of flooded roads, homes being battered and traffic lights down.

Good onya!

Plummet
4862 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it always astounds me how dudes come on here and just hate on other guys stoke. why have such a negative outlook on life?
Are they like this in real life on the beach? or are they venting pent up rage from work or the missis?

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
8 Jun 2016 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

That reading is taken from the airport, so not really a true indication for what was pushing through at the beaches......anyways

Get the cameras ready fore next Tuesday....

might even get to 60knts!

djt91184
QLD, 1211 posts
8 Jun 2016 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I saw that massif jump on the local news Saturday night mat c. The news reporter chick was frothing all over you

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
8 Jun 2016 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

The main thing, we had a great time. Thanks for the positive comments, looking forward to the next strong winds :)

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
8 Jun 2016 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Gilly3 said..
Hey Matt,

yeah i was going to say it felt alot more like 40 knots to us then 50 and that was the gusts

just wish the misses didnt kite then we could of got a photo aswell

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
8 Jun 2016 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Matt. All jokes aside.

Next time its blowing onshore (35 knots plus) pop up to the Sunny Coast, there are a bunch of places you can boost without risk getting lofted & slammed on to the beach.

I have seen first hand a bloke with two snapped ankles from a loft, this was only in ~25 knots. He didn't even get that high, he just went sideways into the shallows.

One of the Perth racers, Jonno also ended up in a tree not long ago, that was in under 20 knots.....

Stay safe.

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
8 Jun 2016 11:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said...
Hey Matt. All jokes aside.

Next time its blowing onshore (35 knots plus) pop up to the Sunny Coast, there are a bunch of places you can boost without risk getting lofted & slammed on to the beach.

I have seen first hand a bloke with two snapped ankles from a loft, this was only in ~25 knots. He didn't even get that high, he just went sideways into the shallows.

One of the Perth racers, Jonno also ended up in a tree not long ago, that was in under 20 knots.....

Stay safe.

I use to live at Caloundra, there was other places I could have gone, though I'll keep the sunny coast in mind!

Cheers mate

Matt C
QLD, 93 posts
8 Jun 2016 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said...
Mark _australia said..

Gilly3 said..
Hey Matt,

yeah i was going to say it felt alot more like 40 knots to us then 50 and that was the gusts

just wish the misses didnt kite then we could of got a photo aswell

couldnt see anyone else kiting at Kirra, good stuff for getting out, but when your with us next time, I'll take your wind judgement into account. I might even take a photo for you ??

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
8 Jun 2016 2:42PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh nice one. I was planing on coming down to catch that wind but didn't want to put up with 100mm of rain

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Boosting on the Goldy in 30-50 Knot goodness" started by Matt C