Forums > Kitesurfing General

Ankle brace for kiting?

Created by Andresao > 9 months ago, 31 Mar 2016
Andresao
11 posts
31 Mar 2016 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

I would like to know if any of you guys has tried any ankle brace on the water and if they get a lot of wear due to salty water.

Thank you in advance.

axion
VIC, 144 posts
31 Mar 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Yes and they are crap they fill with sand and chaff the hell out of your feet. You can get the neoprene slip on one's but they offer bugger all support. If you have a bad ankle and want to protect it start riding in boots.

SmoothRider
QLD, 10 posts
31 Mar 2016 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

I sprained my ankle pretty bad last year and used this ASO ankle brace when I was ready to resume kiting. I already had them from playing footy and basketball years ago. It worked well and my ankle felt secure enough. It consists of laces and velcro straps so it's not a heavy duty brace. There are heavier braces out there but it would depend on how much you need to restrict your ankle from moving. If you're doing a lot of tricks it might be worth considering. At first I was just happy enough to be back on the water. Salt water doesn't seem to have damaged it at all.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
31 Mar 2016 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

What does your physio reckon
You lose 50% of strength or muscle condition in very little time
Returning to any activity may make it worse,
Especially kiting, unless butter flat water
Ski related exercises for strength building work well with kiting,
Hit them up 1st to build strength then return to the water
Kiteboardingexercises.com
Dr Sarah Ellis gives pre and post injury tips specific to kiters

Weta
WA, 891 posts
1 Apr 2016 2:37AM
Thumbs Up

+1 for ASO brace plus do daily strengthening rehab exercises for injury.

Brace should last a couple of seasons of 4+ sessions per week.

Never had a problem with it filling full of sand and chaffing.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
1 Apr 2016 5:36AM
Thumbs Up

Yep I have the same Aso brace. Works well when needed. I've got terrible ankles from far too many sprangs in my footy days. Even if I feel a slight twinge, I wear it the next day or so and it seems to prevent more acute damage.

Andresao
11 posts
1 Apr 2016 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SmoothRider said..
I sprained my ankle pretty bad last year and used this ASO ankle brace when I was ready to resume kiting. I already had them from playing footy and basketball years ago. It worked well and my ankle felt secure enough. It consists of laces and velcro straps so it's not a heavy duty brace. There are heavier braces out there but it would depend on how much you need to restrict your ankle from moving. If you're doing a lot of tricks it might be worth considering. At first I was just happy enough to be back on the water. Salt water doesn't seem to have damaged it at all.

Thank you for your response! I do have considered the ASO brace, but I was thinking of a stiffer one as you have suggested. For more confidence and support.

I have in mind the Zamst A2-DX that has plastic reinforcements and claims to lock your ankle sideways pretty well, it has excellent reviews on internet (eg. amazon). It is also the brace worn by NBA player Stephen Curry.

Andresao
11 posts
1 Apr 2016 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Weta

Thanks for the advice! I am under physio treatment and I've been going to the gym to rehab for 2 weeks (bicycle, stretching, mobility, strenghthening, proprioception/balance...)

It has been 1 and 1/2 months since the injury and I think I should be recovered in 2 or 3 more weeks.

I will consider the ASO!

Andresao
11 posts
1 Apr 2016 4:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SmoothRider

PS: I do want to continue throwing all my unhooked moves soon after my return, do you think then I should go for a more restrictive brace?

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
2 Apr 2016 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andresao said..

SmoothRider

PS: I do want to continue throwing all my unhooked moves soon after my return, do you think then I should go for bindings??

Fixed it for you
The answer is yes.

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
2 Apr 2016 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Any suggestions for recovering fracture of metatarsal at big toe?
Area still does not like much down pressure while toes are bending.
I have tried boots which is a big improvement but need something a bit better.

Andresao
11 posts
2 Apr 2016 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
flyingcab said..

Andresao said..

SmoothRider

PS: I do want to continue throwing all my unhooked moves soon after my return, do you think then I should go for bindings??

Fixed it for you
The answer is yes.

hahahahahahahahahahaha got it! no brace then?

SmoothRider
QLD, 10 posts
2 Apr 2016 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Andresao said..

SmoothRider

PS: I do want to continue throwing all my unhooked moves soon after my return, do you think then I should go for a more restrictive brace?

I don't know mate. Depends on how stuffed your ankles are and how much support you want. Maybe go and try a few different types on and see how they feel. I used them when I was returning from a bad injury while my ankle was still weak and swollen. I don't use them any more. The Stephen Curry brace looks pretty good. You would have to try it on to see if it would be any good for kiting.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Ankle brace for kiting?" started by Andresao