Forums > Kitesurfing General

Adding PTEX Base to Board

Created by nhamo98 > 9 months ago, 3 Oct 2016
nhamo98
VIC, 5 posts
3 Oct 2016 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Been riding a 2016 Custom for a while now and love it, only downfall i find though is it doesnt have the slider base like the cbl or other boards, would contemplate just swapping to a CBL but was curious if its possible to wax the base in some way to add the slider base ect without affecting anything majorly.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
4 Oct 2016 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

your trying to bond something to a surface that is designed to not bond with anything. you would have to scratch the **** out of the current base to try get the new **** to stick so to speak.

far cheaper to just buy a cbl i have one for sale for like 400 brand new condition and instead of one broken board youd have 2 good ones

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
4 Oct 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Buy my 2015 CBL. $200 bucks. Good luck with getting that stuff to stick if not.

Hardcarve1
QLD, 547 posts
4 Oct 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

I did something like what you want to do a few years ago. Traced the outline of the board over some thing plastic sheet allowing the sheet to curve over the base Of the board. Mark the holes for all 4 fins and drill those holes out. Use the fins to bond the sheet to the board. Works a treat.

loftsofwind
QLD, 226 posts
4 Oct 2016 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Something wrong with CBL boards? lol

kernal
WA, 541 posts
4 Oct 2016 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
loftsofwind said..

i have no idea how daves is 250! i would bloody buy it if i wasnt getting a 2017 one sent to me. he probably hit rails with his where mine has been all boxes and kickers so no damage.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
4 Oct 2016 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
loftsofwind said..

not at all they rock most second hand punters don't want to buy them as they do not have a handle !! i just bought an Ace and it sucks I wish I stuck to the custom/cbl I have had every model since 2010.

nhamo98
VIC, 5 posts
5 Oct 2016 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah decided pretty soon after posting its a dumb idea haha, probably will just look at getting a cbl or tona pop to add to the collection

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
6 Oct 2016 5:08AM
Thumbs Up

Just get an Axis Tranq, as an added bonus to the slider base it will also ride better .

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
6 Oct 2016 9:19AM
Thumbs Up

i dont get that. why have a wakestyle board without a slider base. isnt that why we buy a wakestyle board!

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
6 Oct 2016 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

LOLOLOLOL this topic is classic. I can't sell my CBL because the Ptex has scratches all over it, yet most of the lawn mowers don't get that that's the point of the slider base. There is no damage to the core or glass, just slider crap that has scratched off onto the board. I bought a tranq coz i wanted something stiffer and slightly smaller. I did enjoy the CBL, i have ridden it profusely at the cable and at Dolls. Just not enough market for wakestyle boards in Aus. Anyways, I won't sell it to someone who doesn't understand the point of a slider base, coz they will just whinge the board is all scratched up. Might have better luck flogging it in Brazil for what its worth.

On a similar note, has anyone ever tried to iron scratches out of Ptex? It is a wax after all.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
9 Oct 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Yes you can repair Ptex with iron and Ptex candle. Check snowboard instructionals.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
9 Oct 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..
Just get an Axis Tranq, as an added bonus to the slider base it will also ride better .

you did design a nice board jailexander aims whois loose

kernal
WA, 541 posts
9 Oct 2016 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daveisthekotz said..

On a similar note, has anyone ever tried to iron scratches out of Ptex? It is a wax after all.

its the same as how you get the wrinkles out of your kite, just set the iron to polyester setting and go for it. ;)

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
10 Oct 2016 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..
Yes you can repair Ptex with iron and Ptex candle. Check snowboard instructionals.

Does it come up nice?

kernal
WA, 541 posts
10 Oct 2016 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daveisthekotz said..

sir ROWDY said..

Does it come up nice?

almost as nice as a regular candle and a saucepan in a pinch :P

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
11 Oct 2016 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
daveisthekotz said..

sir ROWDY said..

Does it come up nice?

Can be ok, surely better than previous.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Adding PTEX Base to Board" started by nhamo98