Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

100% silence

Created by kemp90 > 9 months ago, 8 May 2018
kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
8 May 2018 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

who has had the pleasure of riding a foil that is 100% sound free, no hums and no whistle?
When your going downwind at the same speed as the wind all you can hear is the water flicking off the trailing edge of the mast, it's so peaceful and satisfying.

Its such a pleasure to have a quiet foil. Iv been on a few foils but nun have been silent.
With the Konrad versa is properly fun, even screaming downwind at scary speeds there is no sound what so ever.

Not pimping, just bloody stoked!

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
8 May 2018 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

As a beginner, the fear & out of control acceleration starts with the silence
Having so much fun & need to see the chiro

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
8 May 2018 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

I have 4 foils from carbon high aspect to well just big 1000cm sq.
3 foils are super quite in all directions eg Zeeko free ride and Carver (after tuning rear wing) and Naish medium.
Carbon KFA race/fr is quite until fast but rear wing tuning was required.
Happy with all for their given purpose.

emmafoils
307 posts
8 May 2018 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

When I was learning, direct downwind seemed so difficult; now it is my favorite tack. The silence is definitely part of the enjoyment.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
8 May 2018 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, silence is golden. Zeeko carbon with carver wing - started with minor speed and height -dependent whistle, now silent after minor wetsanding of mast trailing edge.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
8 May 2018 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

All three of my foils are silent except for the Slingshot Ghost Whisperer when at speed and the board is close to touching the water it hums a Little like a warning siren. Pull up, Pull up ! At all other times it is silent. My new Moses Comet is dead silent and the SS NF2 makes a very quiet hissing sound at speed.

Love the the tranquility of silence mixed with the thrill of high speed.

DM

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
Thumbs Up

All three of my foils are silent except for the Slingshot Ghost Whisperer when at speed and the board is close to touching the water it hums a Little like a warning siren. Pull up, Pull up ! At all other times it is silent. My new Moses Comet is dead silent and the SS NF2 makes a very quiet hissing sound at speed.

DM

ActionSportsWA
WA, 950 posts
Thumbs Up

DM

DukeSilver
WA, 380 posts
8 May 2018 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

My SS Hover Glide doesn't make a sound. Never has. I had a go on my mates Zeeko with Carver wing and there was a low hum. Not bad though. Nice foil to ride too.

Plummet
4862 posts
9 May 2018 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

My home build hums then whistles. Haven't found the fix yet.

I would like silence.

airsail
QLD, 1240 posts
9 May 2018 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Blunt trailing edges reduce or eliminate humming, allows for better flow release. I use a file to get a flat edge about 0.5 mm wide. None of my home builds hum, had a Naish thrust 90 mast that hummed, the 70 didn't. 90 had a sharp trailing edge, flattened it, hum gone.

Pauloz
VIC, 116 posts
9 May 2018 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Mine are silent most days.
There is lots of focus on the wing trailing edge to silence them, but recently I was heading out and noticed the wing tip was a little rough.
And it was noisy, I came in, and a minor sand of that tip, and the noise was gone. The take away being, is that the sound can be generated from anywhere.
Cheers

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
9 May 2018 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
airsail said..
Blunt trailing edges reduce or eliminate humming, allows for better flow release. I use a file to get a flat edge about 0.5 mm wide. None of my home builds hum, had a Naish thrust 90 mast that hummed, the 70 didn't. 90 had a sharp trailing edge, flattened it, hum gone.

Thanks for this advice as I just bought the 90 mast.
Which mast do you prefer?

airsail
QLD, 1240 posts
9 May 2018 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

airsail said..

Thanks for this advice as I just bought the 90 mast.
Which mast do you prefer?

I like both for different reasons. The 90 is great for choppy conditions, you don't breach as much but you do need deeper water. The 70 is lighter and easier to use, bit more of a direct feel though these masts are really stiff so not a lot in it, good for low tide where we foil.
I've just bought the medium surf wing which works brilliantly, doesn't mind breaching and will ride slow enough to play in the wind swell. I'll probably stay on the 90 for those conditions.

scotty100
QLD, 233 posts
10 May 2018 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

My naish set up has absolutely no noise on 55cm or 90cm mast.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
10 May 2018 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Huh. Old chap with the Access that was so noisy, now has a Double Agent wing on the front and -- it's still noisy. Not as bad as before, but still audible. Wonder if it's the stab or the the fuse/mast joint...

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
10 May 2018 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..
Huh. Old chap with the Access that was so noisy, now has a Double Agent wing on the front and -- it's still noisy. Not as bad as before, but still audible. Wonder if it's the stab or the the fuse/mast joint...

Lots of fixes to get silence on this and other forums.
Just give the suggestions a try as I found success not only in silence but smoother and significantly better experience.
If I had been closed minded I would have spent a lot more on foils trying to find whats worked.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
10 May 2018 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

Kamikuza said..

Lots of fixes to get silence on this and other forums.
Just give the suggestions a try as I found success not only in silence but smoother and significantly better experience.
If I had been closed minded I would have spent a lot more on foils trying to find whats worked.

He's got a DA wing on the front -- I don't think he's too bothered :D

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
10 May 2018 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Haven't heard even a whisper from my Axis foil.

TomW059
183 posts
18 May 2018 3:05AM
Thumbs Up

I ride Moses Fluente from 2016 with 550 and 590 wings. It's totally silent and free from vibration. 590 had a little hum , noticed it has some pin holes in finish, do I painted it with rattle can primer and wetsanded sanded it with 400/800. Totally silent.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
18 May 2018 5:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TomW059 said..
I ride Moses Fluente from 2016 with 550 and 590 wings. It's totally silent and free from vibration. 590 had a little hum , noticed it has some pin holes in finish, do I painted it with rattle can primer and wetsanded sanded it with 400/800. Totally silent.

Amazing how something so tiny can have an effect on noise or vibration. Silence is part of the purity of flying downwind at speed. Slingy foil is really quiet, Zeeko Spitfire is a tad noisier but hardly noticeable

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
18 May 2018 5:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TomW059 said..

Amazing how something so tiny can have an effect on noise or vibration. Silence is part of the purity of flying downwind at speed. Slingy foil is really quiet, Zeeko Spitfire is a tad noisier but hardly noticeable

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"100% silence" started by kemp90