Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Apparently Aussies don't want $269K jobs?

Created by FormulaNova > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2019
FormulaNova
WA, 14044 posts
13 Nov 2019 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a link to a story where apparently its hard to fill top Aussie jobs of $269K.

www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/indeed-reveals-the-highpaying-but-surprisingly-hardtofill-positions-in-australia/news-story/1f0129c62b7ff6d634e5ef82bdcd11ea

I am not sure Journalist shouldn't be on the list, as the $269K job appears to be for General Practitioner, yet the title of the article says 'Data Engineers'. Although to be fair the Data Engineer role is listed as $123K, so its not nothing.

So, GPs are hard to fill at $269K? The article then suggests that most of them start their own business or go into more lucrative specialties. I guess that makes sense.

Hmmm... how would one fill a GP role for $269K? That's a lot of study at uni for someone to accept less money. Interesting is that vet appears on the list too at $83k. Wow. A lot of time at Uni as well, and apparently as a second degree, and they only get $83K? No wonder its hard to fill these roles.

Any unemployed GPs here?

Pugwash
WA, 7670 posts
13 Nov 2019 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..
Here's a link to a story where apparently its hard to fill top Aussie jobs of $269K.

www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/indeed-reveals-the-highpaying-but-surprisingly-hardtofill-positions-in-australia/news-story/1f0129c62b7ff6d634e5ef82bdcd11ea

I am not sure Journalist shouldn't be on the list, as the $269K job appears to be for General Practitioner, yet the title of the article says 'Data Engineers'. Although to be fair the Data Engineer role is listed as $123K, so its not nothing.

So, GPs are hard to fill at $269K? The article then suggests that most of them start their own business or go into more lucrative specialties. I guess that makes sense.

Hmmm... how would one fill a GP role for $269K? That's a lot of study at uni for someone to accept less money. Interesting is that vet appears on the list too at $83k. Wow. A lot of time at Uni as well, and apparently as a second degree, and they only get $83K? No wonder its hard to fill these roles.

Any unemployed GPs here?

Any position advertised at 20, 30, 40% under the market rate is hard to fill...

Subsonic
WA, 2963 posts
13 Nov 2019 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Could also be a case of how much of your life is worth 269k. Lot of well paid jobs don't get loadings for overtime, and expect you to be available on a whim. The employer just figures at 269k, you belong to them. The borders of work time and personal time are well and truly blurred.

could also be a remote job.

FormulaNova
WA, 14044 posts
13 Nov 2019 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Subsonic said..
Could also be a case of how much of your life is worth 269k. Lot of well paid jobs don't get loadings for overtime, and expect you to be available on a whim. The employer just figures at 269k, you belong to them. The borders of work time and personal time are well and truly blurred.

could also be a remote job.

The $269K job was for a GP and the article goes on to say that a lot of GPs and Vets go on to open their own businesses, so working for someone else may not be a priority, hence the reason it is hard to find them.

My local vet was complaining to me that he can't find vets to work at his practices and that recently some returned to their country of origin, and also that he can't compete with the salaries offered by US owned corporations that are setting up vet clinics. The other issue was that he is in the suburbs and other places closer to the city can pay more. He also told me that you need a first undergraduate degree before then studying to be a vet, and that the majority of students are female and this often means that they decide to have children and then can only work limited hours.

I suggested that if these were ongoing problems that he could work around this, but he seemed resistant to the idea. I don't know why. If you offered a mother a decent salary to work the hours while her kids are at school, wouldn't that be attractive to them? Sure, he would have to fill in the other hours, but that's better than nothing, and you will no doubt keep that employee a lot longer with those sort of working conditions. He does seem like a very old school vet though, so I don't think he has adjusted to the current environment.

I worry that the idiots that are trying to increase the numbers of working visas look at these stats and just bump up the numbers and don't look at the actual problems. I think Pugwash is more close to the truth in that the offered salaries are below market rate.

I cringe when the article says $269K jobs they can't fill, which is the GP job, and then somehow links it to IT jobs which are already absolutely overloaded with unemployed people, and the only job is a data engineer, and the salary is substantially lower than the $269K figure. I am sure this is going to be used to increase even more immigrant visas for IT jobs.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Apparently Aussies don't want $269K jobs?" started by FormulaNova